• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragons & Sorcerer levels

Epametheus

First Post
Now, if a dragon gains sorcerer levels, it adds them to its existing sorcerer levels.

Can dragons that can fill sorcerer spell slots with divine spells (like red, gold, and silver dragons) still do so if they took sorcerer levels? If an adult red dragon (automatic 7th level sorc) took 11 sorcerers levels, could it take stuff like Storm of Vengeance or Miracle as a 9th level spell, instead of an arcane spell?

Last edited:

Darklone

Excuse me, I was looking for this confirmation some time ago and didn't find it...

Where does it say that dragons add their sorcerer levels to their innate spellcasting abilities? I didn't check THAT carefully, but it's not specifically mentioned at the place where it's mentioned e.g. for nymphs or rakshasas or other dudes...

Thanee

First Post
I would say yes. It only really says in the dragon's description of that ability, that they can cast cleric and domain spells as arcane spells. That's a pretty generic ability.

So, if they actually add sorcerer class levels to their innate ability, they obviously enhance their ability and that cleric stuff is part thereof.

However, I suppose they'd still have to choose their spells known, just have a greater selection.

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Kylearan

First Post
Well met!
Darklone said:
Excuse me, I was looking for this confirmation some time ago and didn't find it...

Where does it say that dragons add their sorcerer levels to their innate spellcasting abilities? I didn't check THAT carefully, but it's not specifically mentioned at the place where it's mentioned e.g. for nymphs or rakshasas or other dudes...
It says so in the Draconomicon, in the back of the Monster Manual and the SRD under the heading Advancing Monster Challenge Rating/Associated Class Levels:
SRD said:
A spellcasting class is an associated class for a creature that already has the ability to cast spells as a character of the class in question, since the monster’s levels in the spellcasting class stack with its innate spellcasting ability.
And may God strike me down if this isn't easy to find... ;-)

Epametheus said:
Can dragons that can fill sorcerer spell slots with divine spells (like red, gold, and silver dragons) still do so if they took sorcerer levels? If an adult red dragon (automatic 7th level sorc) took 11 sorcerers levels, could it take stuff like Storm of Vengeance or Miracle as a 9th level spell, instead of an arcane spell?
As the dragons in question have a larger spell list, they can use the higher level "cleric" spells. This is clarified in the Draconomicon also.

Kylearan

Darklone

Thanks. I was simply confused since it wasn't mentioned in the dragons description as well... like it is for most other monsters with innate spellcasting abilities.

shilsen

Adventurer
Thanee said:
I would say yes. It only really says in the dragon's description of that ability, that they can cast cleric and domain spells as arcane spells. That's a pretty generic ability.

So, if they actually add sorcerer class levels to their innate ability, they obviously enhance their ability and that cleric stuff is part thereof.

However, I suppose they'd still have to choose their spells known, just have a greater selection.

Bye
Thanee
What he said.

Remove ads