• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragons without magic

styker

First Post
Hello everybody, i´m trying to make dragons usings the template of the monster manual V (that IMO is underpower) plus some other abilities to balance it. Other objective is to make the encounters easier and faster to run since my group has 9 pcs in game. This green dragon was my first example and the encounter was perfect (fast and epic, all my players liked the new dragon stats)
Here´s the dragon:
Size/Type:
Huge Dragon(Air)
Hit Dice:
20d12+100 (230 hp)
Initiative:
+0
Speed:
12m, nadar 12m, vôo 45m(ruim)
Armor Class:
27 (+19 natural, -2 size)
Base Attack/Grapple:
+20/+36
Attack:
+28 Bite (2d8+9)
Full Attack:
+28 Bite (2d8+9) and 2 +26 Claws(3d6+4) and 2 +26 wings (1d8+4) and +26 Tail Slap (2d6+13).
Space/Reach:
15 ft./10 ft.(15ft with Bite)
Special Attacks:
Breath CD 27 (12d6 acid in 50ft cone), Frightful Presence CD 23 (54m radius, <4HD panicked, >4HD Shaken) , Crush CD 25, Rend (6d6+13).
Special Qualities:
Blindsense 60ft. , Acid Aura (30 per turn in all adjacents squares), DR 5/-- , Spell-Like Abilities: 3/day – Entagle CD 14, Invisibility.
Saves:
Fort +20, Ref +15, Will +18 (+3 insight nos saves)
Abilities:
Str 28, Dex 10, Con 21, Int 16, Wis 17, Cha 16
Skills:
Listen +26, Search +26, Spot +26, Concentration +15, Sense Motive +26, Bluff +15, Hide +18, Move Silently +18.
Feats:
MultiAttack, Clinging Breath, Improved Natural Attack (Claw), Wingover, Rend, Improved Ability(Breath), Quicken Spell Like Ability (Invisibility).
Challenge Rating: 13

So, the reviews included the acid aura (from MMV template), the RD 5/- (to do him tougher to defeat) and the spell like ability invisibility in place of the spells, but this invisibilty is diferent, it´s fuctions like a camouflage, giving bonus in hide and 50% miss to attacks, but the pcs can see the dragon location and the camouflage break away if the dragon attacks (just like invisibility spell).

My objective is to think in other abilities (like the camouflage) to other dragons, so i´d like some ideas. What do you think?

domino

First Post
I want to say one of the Monster Manuals have dragons that have forsaken their magical abilities in exchange for entrance into The Great Game, where dragons basically play chess using cities, armies, and nations as their pieces. Less magic, more pulling the strings from behind the scenes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads