OSR Dragonslayer RPG truly delivers.

Jahydin

Hero
His review of the D&D movie was bizarrely built around the idea that it was designed to denigrate straight white men. His logic was so tortured that it likely violated the Geneva Convention. I just can't with that guy.
I watched about 10 minutes of that and my eyes were rolling in the back of my head. 🙄
Certainly not anyone I would watch movies with...

Jahydin

Hero
Regardless of the product, I will never send a dime to Gillespie. I think Jahydin undersells Gillespie’s politics. I recommend you take a look at his RateMyProfessor page for some insight.
How do you think I undersold him? I compared him to James Lyndsay and from what I've read so far that seems pretty spot on. If there's something I missed, please share it.

Clarifications:
As long as it's relevant to ENWorld's "non-tolerance for non-inclusive" individuals. Don't want to get political if we don't have to.

Also, not a challenge whatsoever. Just encouraging conversation because I see this as a "win/win"; if someone Googles "Dragonslayer RPG" I get to tell them how amazing it is while at the same time others get to inform them on why they might not want to support it. 🤝

Last edited:

greymist

Lurker Extraordinaire
Undersold in the sense that your descriptor, “Anti-Marxist” makes him sound like he doesn’t agree with Communism. I’ll agree that comparing him to Lyndsay (whom I had to look up on Wikipedia) is more accurate.

Jahydin

Hero
Undersold in the sense that your descriptor, “Anti-Marxist” makes him sound like he doesn’t agree with Communism. I’ll agree that comparing him to Lyndsay (whom I had to look up on Wikipedia) is more accurate.
Oh, understood. I used " " to emphasize how the term is used differently by the anti-Critical Theory crowd.

Retreater

Legend
Can someone tell me what is so revolutionary about this game?
From the reviews I've read - nothing. It's primarily B/X with some AD&D houserules layered over it (essentially retreading the ground of OSE Advanced). I don't get the idea that it brings anything substantial to the table beyond what you'd see in OSE/Dolmenwood, Shadowdark, etc.
Primarily, it's a means for the author to get away from Labyrinth Lord because he has a beef with that designer. So I guess if you like Gillespie's megadungeons (like Barrowmaze), you might want this for future releases.
One fan reviewer spoke at length how revolutionary it was to have "ready-made equipment packs" for quick character creation, so I guess you've got that. (Provided you didn't want to use 5e or Castles and Crusades, or other games that have been doing that for a decade or more.)

From the reviews I've read - nothing. It's primarily B/X with some AD&D houserules layered over it (essentially retreading the ground of OSE Advanced). I don't get the idea that it brings anything substantial to the table beyond what you'd see in OSE/Dolmenwood, Shadowdark, etc.
Primarily, it's a means for the author to get away from Labyrinth Lord because he has a beef with that designer. So I guess if you like Gillespie's megadungeons (like Barrowmaze), you might want this for future releases.
One fan reviewer spoke at length how revolutionary it was to have "ready-made equipment packs" for quick character creation, so I guess you've got that. (Provided you didn't want to use 5e or Castles and Crusades, or other games that have been doing that for a decade or more.)
Sounds like a classic case of an OSR game designer overhyping his game, which does the exact same thing as every OSR game but with random mechanics pulled in from contemporary rulesets.

Jahydin

Hero
I really want to point out is this is not the case here. Just skimming through it reveals a ton of changes (most for the best imo, except Critical Fumbles... I'm not a fan of those...).

Sounds like a classic case of an OSR game designer overhyping his game, which does the exact same thing as every OSR game but with random mechanics pulled in from contemporary rulesets.
I honestly thought the same way at first, especially since Greg was so tightlipped on what exactly he was changing (if anything) from Labyrinth Lord. Now that I have it in hand, easy to say this isn't the case.

If there is a particular game you'd like me to compare it to, I don't mind sharing some of the rules differences.

I really want to point out is this is not the case here. Just skimming through it reveals a ton of changes (most for the best imo, except Critical Fumbles... I'm not a fan of those...).

I honestly thought the same way at first, especially since Greg was so tightlipped on what exactly he was changing (if anything) from Labyrinth Lord. Now that I have it in hand, easy to say this isn't the case.

If there is a particular game you'd like me to compare it to, I don't mind sharing some of the rules differences.
Its hard to think of something to ask about because I have no idea what has and has not changed, or what scale of differences there are.

Retreater

Legend
I'll take your word on it. The reviews seemed positive and the reviewers favorable to the designer. That's just what they mentioned in the reviews.
I've enjoyed the dungeons he's made, but I'm at my OSR system threshold. I didn't back Dolmenwood, Shadowdark, or the Swords and Wizardry revision. At this point, I just have everything I need to fit that genre.

Remove ads