• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonstar Question!

tecnodemon

First Post
Ok I have asked this in both the DS yahoo group and FFG forums and not much help.

How are communications work in Dragonstar? I am talking starship to starship communications and planet to starship communications. Now planet to starship I can see satelite arounf orbit will work.
Some will argue that magic can be used but remember, technology of any level is still the major part of the campaign.

I just would to the offical word on the communication issues.

Zub

First Post
Non magic communication is bounded by the speed of light. So if your 100 light years away, it will take at least 100 years to send a message to your target.

In your campaign world, feel free to develop of Faster then light method though. It could involve a set of magical relay stations set up throughout the galaxy, or a tachyon communicator could be developed.

DiamondB

Explorer
Supporter
I like the idea of no FTL form of communication, makes things interesting. Ship to ship communication isn't much of an issue when they are within resonable distance of each other, sure there may be a bit of lag time at extreme distances, but that's not too bad. Planet to ship in system communication shouldn't be much of an issue, basically the same as ship to ship. Magic can probably be used to extend the range or reduce lag time a bit.

No FTL communication makes small, courier ships a viable possibility, transporting communications among the various systems. Communication among the hub planets (can't remember the exact name) shouldn't be a problem, the Great Road connects them all, I would assume that a big fat fiber optic cable (or future's equivalent) was put in right along with the road. If you decide that's not an option, it allows for the cyberpunkish bike couriers, transporting information along the Great Road.

Just some thoughts,

tecnodemon

First Post
I found the page and info in Guide/Galaxy and after reading it and my campaign idea it fits. My campaign is kind of Victorian culture and look in Space or more direct Ravenloft in space. So that info on Ansible, th space-telegraph fits perfectly in my setting.

Thanks for the info anyway guys.

Remove ads