• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Drawbacks for a Fighter/Mage Kit

Shingen

First Post
Check out the "ELF" class in B/X or BECMI. Fighter Abilities, casts M-U spells.

I know BECMI. The Elf is not a Fighter/Mage. He is an Elf. It has a single experience table, does not split hit points, etc. The only thing alike is that he casts spells. They are different classes. The Elf isn't anymore a Fighter/Mage than the Halfling in BECMI is a Fighter/Thief. They are not multi-classed.

Remathilis

Legend
I know BECMI. The Elf is not a Fighter/Mage. He is an Elf. It has a single experience table, does not split hit points, etc. The only thing alike is that he casts spells. They are different classes. The Elf isn't anymore a Fighter/Mage than the Halfling in BECMI is a Fighter/Thief. They are not multi-classed.

FUNCTIONALLY, an elf was a fighter/mage and able to act as both. However, since you chose to be pedestrian, a halfling is nothing like a fighter/thief. It has fighter abilities, but the only thief-like ability is a static chance to hide in woodlands. No locks, traps, moving silently, or climbing walls. More akin to a 2e ranger than anything else.

I know BECMI. The Elf is not a Fighter/Mage. He is an Elf.

True, but irrelevant -- the point being that casting spells as a magic-user with weapons and armor as a fighter predates 2E's fighter-without-armor-mage in at least two earlier D&D variants. Doesn't matter what you call the class(es); it's the combination of these abilities that is important to the original question.

In B/X, this was balanced by slower experience progression plus a level cap. In 1E it was balanced by similar mechanics with the same effect.

Shingen

First Post
FUNCTIONALLY, an elf was a fighter/mage and able to act as both. However, since you chose to be pedestrian, a halfling is nothing like a fighter/thief. It has fighter abilities, but the only thief-like ability is a static chance to hide in woodlands. No locks, traps, moving silently, or climbing walls. More akin to a 2e ranger than anything else.

I disagree. The archetype of the Elf is the reason for its magic use while fighting, not some sort of use of both classes. You can call me "pedestrian," which I presume is some kind of insult, but it is not a fighter/mage. The fighter/mage as a multi-class comes from 1e. just because someone can fight and use magic =/= fighter/mage. Even if we accept that a halfling is like a ranger, that doesn't make him a ranger, right?

True, but irrelevant -- the point being that casting spells as a magic-user with weapons and armor as a fighter predates 2E's fighter-without-armor-mage in at least two earlier D&D variants. Doesn't matter what you call the class(es); it's the combination of these abilities that is important to the original question.

In B/X, this was balanced by slower experience progression plus a level cap. In 1E it was balanced by similar mechanics with the same effect.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think the class being an Elf as opposed to a multi-class option makes it different.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads