Dread

woodelf

First Post
Oh, and for anyone who needs to be familiar with a game before they can vote for it, you can find an excerpt of the game which includes the entire rules chapter, as well as one of the sub-genre chapters, on our website (see my .sig). Also 4 complete, ready-to-play scenarios. One of those scenarios, plus the rules chapter, a jenga set, and a few hours, is all you need to try the game out for yourself.

[n.b.: "13", one of the scenarios on our website, is also one we're running at GenCon this year, so you should probably skip that one if you were planning to play it at the con.]

woodelf

First Post
diaglo said:
i'm a total clutz. so the jenga part of the game kinda makes me go.... :eek:

Actually, that can just improve the game. All the more tension ;)

Seriously, we've had people with diagnosed palsy of the hands play the game, and have a great time. And, man, you think your hands shake when you get nervous--you shoulda seen this guy, even when he was calm. But it worked just fine. Again, it goes with the comment about those who're particularly good at playing Jenga--your skill at Dread is surprisingly dissociated from your skill at Jenga.

Crothian said:
If I had a jenga game I'd try to run a pick up this at Gen Con.

Well, $12-13 at toy stores, Target, Shopko, etc. I hear it's even cheaper at Wal-Mart, if you're willing to shop there. Cheaper than 2 sets of dice, and enough randomizer for a whole group. I heartily encourage you to run a game, at Gen Con or elsewhere.

Epidiah Ravachol

First Post
I just wanted to drop in and thank the judges for their perseverance. I know you had a lot on your plate and it would have been easy to dismiss the Jenga mechanic as gimmicky. I'm delighted you took the time to consider it and embarrassingly excited about the nominations.

mythago

Hero
Bumping this thread in lieu of starting a new one and wondering who else has given it a whirl?

We've played two different games in our local group and enjoy it a lot - the only issue is that so far nobody has managed to knock over the tower! Partly this is due to at least one of the players having mad DEX, and partly due to strategic choices by players ("No, that's okay, I'll take the wound").

Wiseblood

Adventurer
I did at Gen con in 2008. It was awesome IMO. Then again the guy running it was one of the developers. He was quite good. I think his name is Jeff. They have a newer edition of the game out or coming out. I will probably be getting a copy when I go to GenCon this year. IIRC it was a d100 game with the pregen characters for the adventure being Iconic TV and Movie characters from the genre of.....quasi-horror..... IDK really. But at our table There was Shaggy and Scooby, Snake Plisken, Jack Burton, Angel (from Buffy) and one of the Frog brothers from the Lost Boys. Ecclectic bunch, but man, that was the most memorable game I have played in the last five years.

Remove ads