DreamBlade. HeroScape. Anyuse in d20?

QuaziquestGM

First Post
Hello everybody.

I just got back from DragonCon 2006 (held every Labor Day weekend in Atlanta).

One thing that I noticed in the gaming area was large banners advertising a new mini's game from Wotc called DreamBlade. I asked around and apparently it permeired at GenCon a few weeks ago. They held a "1000" tounament at DragonCon, but in a marketing snafu they sent noone to demo it and no promotional product to hand out. This seemed to mif some of the wotc guys running the magic tournament. One guy in my gaming group who shared a room with me at the con managed to get a player to teach him the game and liked it enough that he bought enough product so that he and (he hopes) his wife can play. He tried to show me how it is played the last night of the Con, but after 40 hrs of volunteer work at the Art show and playing games or watching Dr. Who until 3 AM I was too fried to pick it up. The minies look nice, most of them are fantasy or horror with only a few that have guns or chainsaws. It has the best looking ogre that I have ever seen. They are about 1.5 inch square bases, which make them about right for Large size on a d20 battle grid.

Anyone out there play dreamBlade? Any possiblity of translating the creatures' ablities for use in a d20 type game? or are they only useful as mini's in terms of d20?

Also at the con was a guy from Dallas who ran an unofficial HeroScape tournament. He is a fan of the game, active on message boards for it, who just wanted to publicise the game and get people to play with. He demoed it for me and invited me to play in the tournament, so I payed the 3$ entry fee (I guess the con charged him for table space). The prizes were all donated. I played 4 games, lost 3, and beat a 10 year old who didn't win any games for my only victory. a 12 year old won. At the end, since I was the only new player who did'nt own any of the product, I was given the starter set as a door prize. This includes 33 figures, and 300+ inches of connectible hexgrid pieces. One of the figs is a huge size dragon, another is a ork mouned on a....allasaurous? about 1/2 of the figs are suitible for fantasy use, with the rest having guns or being large size meka. I used the fantasy figs for playing D&D that night and they seem to have bases that are only slightly larger than one inch. This set also had 3 "viper" figures that were only availible in the sets sold at Wal-mart. The kid that won the tournament chose those three loose figures by them self as this prize....Leaving the Giant and black dragon from an expansion pack for the runner up.
I haven't got around to reading the rules yet, but I was told that there are rules for using the game for dungeon crawls and adventuring type games instead of the "Kill everyone on the other team" standard skirmish rules.

Anyone out there play heroScape? Any easy ways to translate the figures special ablities for d20 use?

If nothing else I will use the figures as minis and use the hex blocks and the D20 hex grid rules for a few battles. I will also be teaching my friends the standard heroscape game as it runs pretty quicky.

The prizes for this tournament were essentially random items from a pile of donations. My prize for coming in like 9th place out of 10 was an booster box of mageknight figures (yay, more minis for d20). After ward there was left overs and I ended up with 2 boxes of Clout Chips (a collectible throwing game), and later that night when I walked in to a closed Stargate Track room the prople setting up for the next day gave just randomly gave me 2 more boxes of the same game. (I love Cons). Apparently this was the white elephant door prize for the convention and everyone was passing around unopened boxes of it. So I have a new diversion to teach my Sci-Fi club here in Savannah.

Graf

Explorer
I’ve been playing Dreamscape semi-regularly.
It’s a great alternative to DDM if you’ve got non-gamers around. Since they don’t have the bum point-system-for-warband-construction or the you-can-only-play-one-faction limiters so it’s theoretically possible to play with someone who isn’t a gamer. You give them some figures, they roll some dice and play the game.

The number of key pieces of information about a given piece are also much lower that DDM (just three numbers), movement is standardized and the actions are global (i.e. you get two moves, if you move -all- the figures move, if you attack they all attack).
There are some fiddly bits that take time to get used to (spawn points vs. victory points when you kill a creature, deathblows, some creature special abilities).

On the downside there’s at least one piece that’s considered extremely broken (the Scarab Warcharm) so you have a sort of I’ll-give-you-anything-for-a- the-black-lotus magic-type feeding frenzy right now.

It’s still early, so I don’t think anyone knows whether it’s going to be a viable game going forward.
But you can buy a pack or two, have some cool minis and play simple pick-up games with your friends without any preparation.
I think it will find a niche.

As for D20…
It would have to be fan produced: since its wizards IP nobody else can charge money for it. And wizards has, with the different base sizes and everything else made it very clear that the game is not targeted at the DnD audience.

Looking more broadly I’m not sure that you’ll see anything that is a “natural fit” for Dreamblade. I can’t think of any widely played D20/Modern game worlds featuring weird monsters in a modern setting. CoC can use the tentacled monstrosity monsters more easily than anything else, but for most serious CoC players actually looking at a little plastic figure of an “incomprehensible horror” isn’t going to work.
An over the top Mage game might work well but that systems a) not D20 and b) not mini-based

One thing to be aware of: the size of the creatures correspond (roughly) to their power. So you’ll have humans of differing sizes in the sets.

I bought the Grut Orcs expansion for Heroscape to use in my table top D&D game. The scale is pretty much the same as DDM. I haven't played Heroscape itself though.

I love the look of the Dreamblade figs, but if they aren't to scale (especially the bases from what I've heard) with the DDM figs they'd just end up being display pieces for me. :(

JoeBlank

Explorer
My son got the HeroScape set for his birthday, and has picked up a few expansions since then.

The only use I see for d20 is to do a conversion, or just use the figures and the terrain.

HeroScape somehow hits the sweet spot for bridging the gap between board games and RPGs. After showing no interest in the 16+ years we have been together, my wife loves the game. We usually play the basic version, since our 6-year-old son plays. But even he will probably be read for the more complicated version soon.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
WotC was throwing a bunch of Dreamscape minis at everyone at GenCon. When we got home we had about 4-6 of five different creature molds. My wife and I surgically removed them from their bases, glued them to 1-inch round bases from Games Workshop, and now have a bunch of new D&D minis.

THAT's how I'll use Dreamblade minis with d20. ;)

-DM Jeff

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Heroscape is a very good game. Easy to play, easy to understand the rules, nice visual appeal.

The minis are very usable in D&D. There are conversion rules and suggestions on the various HS sites on the web.

I highly recommned buying during the annual Hasbro sale at Toys R Us (2 for 1 on all Hasbro items).

Felon

First Post
Zaukrie said:
Heroscape is a very good game. Easy to play, easy to understand the rules, nice visual appeal.

Meh. Enjoyed it for a while, then bought the expansions. Those darn orcs and snakes ruined a lot of the scenarios. Too fast.

DM_Jeff said:
WotC was throwing a bunch of Dreamscape minis at everyone at GenCon. When we got home we had about 4-6 of five different creature molds. My wife and I surgically removed them from their bases, glued them to 1-inch round bases from Games Workshop, and now have a bunch of new D&D minis.

THAT's how I'll use Dreamblade minis with d20. ;)

-DM Jeff

Were they difficult to remove from their bases? That was my big hold up in purchasing some singles for use in D&D. Any chance of some pics of how they look post-op? :lol:

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Exquisite Dead Guy said:
Were they difficult to remove from their bases? That was my big hold up in purchasing some singles for use in D&D. Any chance of some pics of how they look post-op? :lol:

Heh, haven't figured out how to upload pics, if so I'd have doozies. :)

They were very easy to remove. Anything with legs, just take an exacto knife and some steady fingers and it cuts through like butter. Nice and smooth. There's a big blob pink figure without legs that's bottom spread is attached to the base, that one was a bit tough. But th eothers? we did the whole set of about 25-30 minis in about 5-10 minutes.

-DM Jeff

Remove ads