Dreams & Machines Is Modiphius' New Age of Roleplaying

A world in ruins after a war with the machines

Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 8.44.09 PM.png

Modiphius has announced a new roleplaying game world, a 'far flung outpost of humanity' once dominated by mechs and future tech, now in ruins after a war with the machines. Ths new world is arriving on August 3rd this year, the first day of Gen Con. There's not much information available yet, but you can see some more art and sign up to the mailing list at the official website.

Dreams and Machines is a world cut off from earth. a far flung outpost of humanity, where mechs and futuristic tech dominated society.

The world is in ruins after a war with the machines. now, mechs lay dormant but when they activate, these ‘wakers’ bring destruction.

Factions like the archivists and dreamers are rebuilding the world in their own way. growing and trading what they can with other everan communities.

The shadowy spectre of the dark city skulks around and the malevolent corrupted ai known as ‘the builder’ is plotting against humanity.

bulletmeat

Adventurer
I am hoping it is a very streamlined Conan/Star Trek system. The John Carter rules run VERY fast but I would like to see a little more nuance in the system for a setting such as this.

MGibster

Legend
Now I'll have to find a review of the base system. I don't need another setting, but you never know.
I'm running Modiphius' Fallout roleplaying game which is based on the video game franchise of the same name. Combat is.....not exciting. In a nutshell, it's too abstract for tactical play and a little too dull for narrative play. If I can't figure out what to do to make the game more exciting, I'll probably cut bait and ask if they want to switch to something else.

I'm running Modiphius' Fallout roleplaying game which is based on the video game franchise of the same name. Combat is.....not exciting. In a nutshell, it's too abstract for tactical play and a little too dull for narrative play. If I can't figure out what to do to make the game more exciting, I'll probably cut bait and ask if they want to switch to something else.
That is very good to know. Thank you.

darjr

I crit!
Is this a similar idea to the computer game Horizon: Zero Dawn?
No idea personally but the QuickStart is now available for free.

AVAILABLE NOW DREAMS AND MACHINES QUICKSTART PDF

Until now, customers who pre-ordered the Dreams and Machines Starter Set have had exclusive access to the Quickstart PDF, but today we're making the FREE Quickstart available to everyone and releasing the final Starter Set digital files to pre-order customers! See below for details about the Quickstart and keep reading to find out more about our first Faction Focus blog and the Starter Set itself!

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF DREAMS AND MACHINES.

A world in the far future, cut off from Earth, where inhabitants balance on a razor’s edge between technological distrust and reverence. A world where sleeping mechs form part of the landscape, part of the culture. Banners and flowers decorate the rusting goliaths while the communities that make their homes around them celebrate births, festivals, and harvests all in the shadow of tools of devastation, now slumbering, their former purpose forgotten. Rumors swirl of a Dark City and yet more tell of Wakers. Mechs that move, that kill, that cannot be stopped. But rumors always swirl, like cloth in the wind. Who’s to say what is real and what is fiction?

The world is wider than you know. It’s time to explore it.

In this Quickstart adventure, a group of bored New Mossgrove teenagers explore the wilderness. While sheltering from a storm in a derelict structure, they discover and explore an ancient facility and face a variety of challenges and dangers within…

The 30-page Quickstart PDF features:

• An adventure for 3-6 players designed to introduce players and GMs to the world of Dreams and Machines.
  • The essential rules of the Dreams and Machines 2d20 system.
  • Six pre-generated character sheets.
  • A handy player reference sheet.

Remove ads

Remove ads