• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dresden Files, Supernatural, CoC, Blood and Relics campaign

Salcor

First Post
Right now I am trying to set up a campaign world for a D20 Modern game the is a cross of Dresden Files, Supernatural, and Call of Cthuhlu, and Blood and Relics. Unfortunately I am a little stumped at the moment. I want to start the players off without knowing the secret world of magic. Probably police, then slowly drag them into the supernatural realm. I am looking for any suggestions on how to tie all these ideas together. Thanks for the help.

Salcor

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Salcor said:
Right now I am trying to set up a campaign world for a D20 Modern game the is a cross of Dresden Files, Supernatural, and Call of Cthuhlu, and Blood and Relics. Unfortunately I am a little stumped at the moment. I want to start the players off without knowing the secret world of magic. Probably police, then slowly drag them into the supernatural realm. I am looking for any suggestions on how to tie all these ideas together. Thanks for the help.

Salcor

I would suggest tracking down a copy of the Torchwood pilot. Despite a somewhat jumpy script, it does exactly this thing. Alternately, if you've ever seen a Doctor Who episode with hangers on (not companions, but normal Earth folks who function in that capacity for the space of an episode), you'll have a pretty good idea for this kind of thing.

Nuclear Platypus

First Post
I've been thinking of something like that but mostly Hellboy or Jackie Chan Adventures with a variety of other "weird" stuff tossed in like possibly the Thule Society, an inner earth (which can be mostly fantasy), Remo Williams and CURE, MJ-12, etc.

Start the pcs off as rookies straight from the academy sent on a simple mission. Depending on the viewpoint, they either screwed up royally or exceeded all expectations. In which case, they get demoted / transferred to the "basement" under the watchful eye of a Fox Mulder type character. Naturally they get ridiculed by the majority of the place, who are just clueless to how things -really- work. Alternatively, do something similar to how Will Smith's character was introduced to the Men in Black or have them be a group like the Lone Gunmen.

See also Special Unit 2, for the supernatural cop show stuff.

ragboy

Explorer
And I basically took jonrog's methods and changed them up a bit. My players/characters got introduced to the world of magic when the Wal-Mart they were shopping in turned into a magical prison for an escaped creature. Yes, this Wal-Mart is sooo big. There's a lot of ways to do it, but I think springing it on them nearly whole cloth is the funnest. You get the running, crying, screaming type of reaction you look for in these games.

Salcor

First Post
Yeah the campaign is going to be a one on one game with my wife. right now I have the D20 CoC campaign Nocturm that I was thinking about converting, but she wan't something more in lines with the Dresden Files. (unfortunately I have only read one of the books, a seen the show on Sci-fi.)

Salcor

accipiter

First Post
In my d20 modern game (Poltergeist: The Legacy meets Buffy meets the Bureau 13 novels -- I would have used Supernatural and Dresden Files but I hadn't discovered them yet) I just did a standard "mysterious employer" bit. I had each player figure out a way their character had interacted with the supernatural sometime recently, and had them all start play with an inkling of what was going on.

I decided against drawing out the culture shock aspect, mainly because, well, it's fun for a game or two and then it just gets tiresome (to me, anyway). I figure most people would adapt to the general idea of weirdness pretty quickly, even though particularly horrific situations might still freak them out. I mean, we've all seen Buffy and various horror movies, so why wouldn't our characters have seen them too? Although I guess that's kind of anti-CoC, which is supposed to contain a lot of gibbering, I've heard? ;)

Anyway, it was tons of fun to DM (and my players must have enjoyed it -- they signed up for my next campaign, anyway). I ran with the TV-show idea and divided my plot up into a "season" made up of "episodes" (each sessions was an episode). I also used all sorts of TV-show gimmicks, like starting things in the middle of the action, fast breaks, and having all the "downtime" (healing, shopping, etc.) happen in the breaks in between sessions.

Some ideas that occurred to me for your game:

Figure out your factions. Which major groups of supernatural are running around your campaign area, what do they consider their territory, and why? In a modern setting, you're going to have gangs, corporations, Mafia, small business owners, and so on. Who can the PCs go to for information about the supernatural world?

One of the things I've noticed about the Dresden Files (although I haven't seen that many episodes) is that there are lots of groups circling Harry, and all of them have their own agendas and demands and history with him. Makes for a very tense world when you could tick off any group at any time, or find yourself a pawn of someone you hate by virtue of working to protect the innocent.

One of the coolest aspects of being a hero in an oblivious world is that, like a superhero, you can't tell anyone else about it. Give the players NPCs who are non-initiated. Girlfriends who don't understand why they're always unavailable at night or being called away half-way through that dinner date. An ex-wife who has just been promoted to being their boss. A kid who is keeps getting into fights at school because his dad's cover job is dorky (and watch as they resist explaining that daddy is really a superhero). These are regular Joes, just like you or me, and how many people in your life would be at risk if you suddenly started hunting monsters tomorrow?

As far as drawing them in goes, if you really want to use that option, I'd structure that sequence around situations that are supernaturally ambiguous (see early X-Files). A serial killer who *might* be a vampire -- he drains the bodies, fears sunlight, and won't cross running water, say -- but the body is lost during the final confrontation, so it can't be proved either way. A werewolf who turns out to be a guy with a genetic condition. The heroes are trapped in a haunted house, and afterwards, tests show they were all exposed to some sort of hallucinogenic mold (which doesn't mean there weren't ghosts anyway). Things like that.

Prest0

First Post
Salcor,

I'd like to humbly suggest that you take a look at our free Pinebox, TX campaign setting. You may find that it fits the bill. To further sweeten the pot, take a look at our modern horror adventures and send me a e-mail (admin at 12tomidnight. com) telling me which one interests you the most. I'll send you a coupon for 50% off. Or if you want to check out one of our horror-themed Modern Dispatches, I'll send you one for free.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads