Dresden Lichbane, Rogue, Sailor, Inventor, Murderer of Necromancers

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
[sblock=background info, for the curious]
Dresden is a forest Gnome from an Alaska-meets-Iceland-meets-ancient Celtic Britain peninsula in my buddy's homebrew world. He lives in the forested lower range of a Denali-esque maountain range, neighbor to Goliath tribes, Dwarven diaspora communities, and Svirfneblin holds (the deep Gnomes are the result of Gnome and Shadar-kai intermarriage in this world).

He has been a sailor, first on riverboats and then on the dangerous western sea, for most of his life, until one day about a year ago when his crew was murdered by a necromancer to make servants for his petty squabble with another sorcerer. Dresden was spared because he happened to be visiting his parents. His best friends, and a couple of his cousins, were aboard ship, and he had to fight a few of them when he returned to the ship, barely escaping with his life.

Stricken with a terrible lust for revenge, he pursued the necromancer for nearly a year. In the process, he met up with the Goliath hunter Thumi, whose tribe he had traded with many times in the past, and together they saved a litter of wolf pups from a zombie bear, and tracked down and killed the necromancer that had take residence in the peak above. Thumi got the kill, becoming a Folk Hero, but an Aarakokra ally of the bastard escaped with a phylactery. Now they have a lich to track down and kill. And it wasn't Dresden's enemy, just another necromancer.

So, they head south, to find the power, allies, and information they need to take down a newly minted lich and his allies. [/sblock]

Dresden is a Swashbuckler Rogue, Sailor, with the quicksmithing feat from Plane Shift Kaladesh. The campaign has bonus feats at level 1, and +1 to any one stat at regular feat levels (to encourage feats over ASIs).

The plan is to build a repeating handcrossbow with upgraded range, get prof with alchemists supplies, and make vial bolts to shoot alchemical stuff from afar. And learn to fight sorcerers.

Right now he has a rapier, but I should probably switch to shortsword so I can dual wield when in melee? Or will sneak attack make up the difference? I've not played a rogue in 5e yet.
EDIT: Or focus on using my bonus actions for mobility. Shortsword would drop me a die step just to add 1d4 dagger damage, while using up my bonus action every round. I'll stick with rapier for now.

I plan to take Mage Slayer at lvl 4, and MC wizard at lvl 5 or 6.

Booming Blade and Greenflame Blade both let me force extra concentration saves on a sorcerer, or hit a minion and still damage my main target. Not sure what other wizard cantrip makes sense. Light and Shocking Grasp can both be flavored as the effects of inventions, I suppose.

Anything in missing? What other feats should I look at? Is MC wizard a worse idea than something else? He has high Dex and Int, 12 cha, good con.

edit: the quicksmithing feat is slightly modified to just use tinker tools. For anyone who hasn't seen it, it gives the rock Gnome tinker toys, and ability to craft ritual-as-device things, learning 2 1st level ritual devices when you take the feat, and you can add rituals that are half your level, same cost as adding spell to spellbook as wizard.

Has anyone else made a rogue mage slayer? Thoughts from your play experience?

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Also, what low level wizard spells are most useful for taking down casters?

SCAG cantrips help bc I can add extra concentration saves or hit mooks and stil deal damage to their boss.

Swashbuckler lets me get around mooks by hitting them and getting away w/o disengaging, while Mage Slayer will make me good at taking down the mage once I'm in their face.

Also, I figure I need detect magic on my ritual list, but I feel like I'm probably forgetting something cool here.

Last, has anyone else made a rogue that specializes in killing casters? What kind of build did you use?

Remove ads