• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dreseden Files RPG is Awesome

tenkar

Old School Blogger
This also has the wonderful advantages of being able to use local flavor and the group having an idea of what local conditions are like without having to be told (i.e what is rush hour like, what are the neighborhoods).

Yep, that too :)

DogBackward

First Post
Also the books have some incredible epic climactic battles that TV could never do justice. You would need blockbuster Hollywood movie level budgets to even think about doing some of these scenes justice in a live action format.
This is why the forum-goers at Jim-Butcher.Com, and I heard Jim himself as well, would prefer any new series to be animated. Also, I believe the folks who have the movie rights up through book 5 are about to lose them in a few years, so somebody who'll actually use them might pick that up.

Here's hopin', anyway...

In terms of spoilers, friends of mine who have read the books and own the RPG advised that it mainly contains spoilers for books 1-4. So I am on book 3 and about to get 4 so that I can sit and read my materials!

I have heard that the game reads amazingly, but the combat is a bit wonky.

Describe "wonky" please?

Fate combat has simple and straightforward mechanics - with an emphasis on players being able to declare minor details and a huge de-emphasis on positioning and placement. Damage in Dresden (I am informed) is fairly lethal. As it should be. :D

Crothian

First Post
So, how is item creation? Does it cover it?

Despite being at Origins for the past 5 days I have managed to read over and scan much of the books. I don't recall seeing item creation in there, but with how exhausted I am from the con I'm really not sure of much right now.!

edit: Ya, I see them in the book. I was thinking it would be in the magical sections so I was in the wrong chapter.

Last edited:

Despite being at Origins for the past 5 days I have managed to read over and scan much of the books. I don't recall seeing item creation in there, but with how exhausted I am from the con I'm really not sure of much right now.!

Unless something is drastically different from FATE/SotC, an item would carry an Aspect. It might be treated as a Gadget with a number of advances.

Now, that might sound like Greek. Items, in FATE, are not important as items. They are important if the character considers them important and takes an Aspect. That allows the GM to compel or the player to compel with use of a Fate Point.

Hm. Still sounding obtuse. Let's try again:

Take an item to make the story important!

;)

caelum

First Post
The rules are simple but allow any of Harry's items. There are two types: focus items, which simply grant a bonus on particular skill checks to cast spells (split by offense/defense, power/control, and elements), and enchanted items, which stores spells (usually usable once/session). Each wizard has a number of item slots available for use. Potions are just one-shot enchanted items.

I think the goal is to keep things very simple but allow the options that the novels have.

evildmguy

Explorer
In the fwiw category, I pre-ordered it and thought the PDFs read VERY WELL. Probably some of the best RPG books I have read, and that's a lot. I would love to be able to play this game.

As someone else said, the RPG books contain spoilers through book 10 but the earlier books are "more spoiled" than the later ones. In fact, just talking about Billy is a spoiler for book two! So, there are definitely passive spoilers and big "this was the thing" in this book type of spoilers.

But, I think it's a great system!

edg

Mythtify

First Post
Beautiful books. I have been following the development of this game for years now, and am happy to have such top-notch products. Hats of to Evil Hat Productions.

Remove ads