• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Drinking a Potion as a Free Action?

Dayspire

Explorer
A previous poster had a question about the Quick Draw feat. Here's his post:

Here is what the Quick Draw feat states:

You can draw a weapon (or an object stored in a belt pouch, bandolier, or similar container, such as a potion) as part of the same action used to attack with the weapon or use the object.

I didn't see a fast reload feat for crossbows, so would this apply to reloading crossbows? So does this mean that reloading as a minor action becomes a free action?
Someone in the thread asked a very good question about potions. Does having this feat mean you can drink a potion as a free action? If the answer is no, then that implies that drinking a potion is actually two minor actions.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

Harr

First Post
The feat implies that you're good enough in the use of weapons to draw one and attack with it at the same time. Potions are not weapons.

Very keyword-y, but whatcha gonna do.

Sphyre

First Post
Dayspire said:
A previous poster had a question about the Quick Draw feat. Here's his post:

Someone in the thread asked a very good question about potions. Does having this feat mean you can drink a potion as a free action? If the answer is no, then that implies that drinking a potion is actually two minor actions.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

Not that I have the books yet, but from what I've read from the boards and previews is that it's a minor to pull out and a minor to drink. Quickdraw reduces it to a minor to pull out and drink.

But I'm sure someone who got their books early would be more justified to figure that out.

themilkman

First Post
The potion section of the PHB is quite explicit about potions requiring one minor action to draw and another minor action to use (or a standard action to apply to an unconscious character). I guess Quick Draw gets rid of the minor action to draw.

Cadfan

First Post
From what I understand,

Drawing a potion is a minor action. Drinking that potion is also a minor action. Because you don't have two minor actions, you'll have to use up a move action to complete one of them if you intend to draw and drink a potion in the same round.

Now, add quickdraw. This makes it so that you can draw something in the same action you use it. Now you can spend a minor action to drink a potion, and draw the potion as part of the action.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
Potions, page 255 states: A potion is a magic liquid that produces its effects when imbibed. Drinking a potion is usually a minor action. Administering a potion to an unconscious creature is usually a standard action. Drawing a potion out of your pack is a minor action.

Surgoshan

First Post
Cadfan said:
From what I understand,

Drawing a potion is a minor action. Drinking that potion is also a minor action. Because you don't have two minor actions, you'll have to use up a move action to complete one of them if you intend to draw and drink a potion in the same round.

Now, add quickdraw. This makes it so that you can draw something in the same action you use it. Now you can spend a minor action to drink a potion, and draw the potion as part of the action.

Psh. Feats are the bugaboos of small minds. The clever PC would use magical duct tape to secure potions to his forearms so he could pull the cork with his teeth and drink the potion as a minor action without having to pull the potion from his pack.

Of course, the clever DM would rule that the PC was using the potions as bracers and a successful hit has a chance to break the bottles...

Vorhaart

First Post
Interesting. Does that mean a character with Quick Draw could drink two potions a round, as long as they spent two minor actions? Or are there further rules limiting how often you can be affected by potions? (I'm guessing no, but you can't be too careful...)
Also, does drinking or pulling out a potion provoke an AoO?

themilkman

First Post
Vorhaart said:
Interesting. Does that mean a character with Quick Draw could drink two potions a round, as long as they spent two minor actions? Or are there further rules limiting how often you can be affected by potions? (I'm guessing no, but you can't be too careful...)
Also, does drinking or pulling out a potion provoke an AoO?
I suppose, if you have Quick Draw, you can downgrade all three of your actions to minor actions and drink three potions per turn. Quite a desperation move, but I can't find anything in the PHB that forbids it.

Opportunity attacks are pretty much only provoked by movement and ranged/area powers. Drawing/drinking potions shouldn't provoke.

Harr

First Post
Having finally gotten to that part in the PHB, the wording of the quickdraw feat specifically mentions that you can draw and use a potion in one minor action with this feat.

Drinking three potions in one turn sounds cool, but with the extremely limited range of effects potions do (ie: only healing period), not really as interesting as it might seem..

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads