• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Drinking and gaming?

Do you or your group drink alcohol while gaming?

• Yes, always

Votes: 63 16.5%
  • Yes, sometimes

Votes: 131 34.3%
  • Rarely

Votes: 81 21.2%
  • No, Never

Votes: 107 28.0%

I put never.

My last group had a few people who drank something alcoholic that contained ice cream once or twice.

My current group doesn't, but sometimes people go to the bar after the game.

I assumed "beer and pretzels" was an expression of speech; I can't stand pretzels anyway :)

xrpsuzi

First Post
Depending on the mix of people, we may pull out some beers, but that's just getting tipsy and/or mellow, not plastered.

I find in general, the GM is happier with a scotch on the rocks. ;)

-Suzi

edit-I thought the term "beer and pretzel" applied to a type of game, like "party games"

Blind Azathoth

Explorer
My rather large offline group is composed of non-drinkers, except for one of the girls, but she only manages to do it when she's around folks able and willing to give her alcohol (she's too young to buy it herself)...and we're not. We're more of a "Mountain Dew and pizza" group than "beer and pretzels."

My online game is a different story. One of my players and I don't drink, but most of the nights we play, the rest of the group steadily works their way toward drunkenness. So far we haven't had to call a session on account of somebody being too plastered to continue typing, though, so I don't mind too much.

questing gm

First Post
My group don't find that gaming requires the effort to get drunk or intoxicated.
But there was this one time when one of my players brought a bottle of tequilla (sp?), the barbarian raged....literally. :eek:

kenobi65

First Post
All depends on the group, and the players.

I have played with some folks who always had beer or wine during games. I've played with others who never did. Those who did / do drink nearly always do so in moderation, and it's nearly never caused an issue.

When I'm a player, I may occasionally imbibe, but I'm more often a DM these days, and I try to avoid it then (don't want to drink and DM :D ).

And, besides, I've found that, as I've gotten older, I simply don't drink alcoholic beverages nearly as often.

GlassJaw

Hero
I need another choice in between "always" and "sometimes". :D

Of the two groups I'm in, there is always beer available and I partake about 90% of the time. so I voted always. :p

I also have the luck of having an awesome home-brewer in one of my groups: EN World's own Warehouse23 (Joe - the guy that went to Antarctica). This week he brought a sixer of English ale and bottles of cherry mead and strawberry mead. Those things make the DM very happy.

That English ale was awesome Joe!

Blackwind

Explorer
Yeah, our group drinks at table on occasion. Maybe one out of every four games, on average, and always either wine or good local microbrews, with about equal frequency. In this part of the country we are blessed with both organic vineyards and really, really good beer.

the Jester

Legend
I put "always," but that means "always with my main group". The other group I run is a "sometimes"- but at this point, prolly about 7/8 are with my alpha/main group.

satori01

First Post
I always Drink & DM, though I generally provide for my players as well, as opposed to being tithed drink and food. 3-4 Beers over an Eight hour span is not that big of deal in terms of impacting performance.

For my group it is almost like a weekly Dinner...people bring snacks, entree items....we play, have a beer or two...take a dinner break..have a beer or two...and combine our love of community theatre and forensic accounting.

Remove ads