• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Drinking and gaming?

Do you or your group drink alcohol while gaming?

• Yes, always

Votes: 63 16.5%
  • Yes, sometimes

Votes: 131 34.3%
  • Rarely

Votes: 81 21.2%
  • No, Never

Votes: 107 28.0%

Wycen

Explorer
A beer or two is ok. Maybe even more depending on who you are, (my fat friends really). Liquor has been enjoyed in small doses or sometimes like rum and coke. I don't think I've ever seen wine at the table.

The only narcotic I've ever been aware of is pot. That was only with a certain couple and I'll avoid that mix if given the chance. Nobody could remember squat after and they just sat there like giggling idiots.

SubMensa

First Post
derelictjay said:
Its rare, but occasionally we have a beer around the table. Most of those I game with don't really drink much, but I don't have a problem with the consumption of alcohol around the table, and those I game with don't have a problem with it.

I second this. We have had on occasion a beer, or something the host brewed himself (mmmm Meade), but most of us have to drive home at the end of the night so never any heavy drinking.

Firedancer

First Post
Yep. When we were students, beer (and I mean the proper British pint of ale, not some euro-fizz) was always consumed.

Now we're all working family types who usually have a drive at the end of the night, but the host usually gets to have a couple.

The lucky occasion we get a weekend of RP then I guarantee consumption of alcohol. Hell, when we did weekend games before you'd buy a 24 slab and settle in.

Dioltach

Legend
The three groups I game with always drink. We usually start with coffee, then move on to wine (or sangria in the summer). Then in the evening it's usually coffee and whiskey. We enjoy good things. On the other hand, no one has ever become even remotely intoxicated.

If the game isn't at my place and I'm driving, I don't drink. Others who are driving usually have a couple of drinks over the course of the afternoon/evening.

S'mon

Legend
I often like to drink ONE beer during a game. :) Any more than that and my performance suffers.

Edit: I'll offer players a beer, and my co-GM Judith will do too when she's running her campaign. I wouldn't be happy about a player bringing a case of beer to the table and drinking one beer after another, though.

The Cardinal

First Post
Sometimes - though none of us ever got drunk during a game.
I (usually the GM) like some Islay Single Malt (Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Ardbeg) from time to time.
Occasionally others may bring a bottle of red wine to the table, and a few beers (Irish or German) were also never a problem.
Other, less common, alcoholic drinks from my games: Gin Tonic, White Russian, Cuban Rum, Hot Buttered Rum, Cognac (Hennessy, Otard, Remi Martin), Champagne (Moet Chandon).

Cam Banks

Adventurer
I can't stand beer, but I love hard cider. We quite often drink socially at games, and I'll knock back a bottle or three of Woodchuck or Hornsbys in the process. One session of my Birthright campaign we were celebrating the season, and a large quantity of alcoholic punch was thrown together using an old Civil War recipe. That was potent stuff, and I swear if I had had to get up and move I'd have fallen over. Nobody knew I was so hammered, though, except one of the girls at the table, who was similarly intoxicated and had been watching how many glasses of the stuff I'd been drinking.

Typically, though, it's a really dumb idea to get any more than happy or buzzed while gaming. Nobody wants to nurse a gamer's hangover.

Cheers,
Cam

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads