• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Drinking For Beginners: How To Survive Dwarf Spirits!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
[imager]http://shop.enworld.org/images/engs/product1778/th.JPG[/imager]
The second book in EN Publishing's For Beginners series is here! Following hot on the heels of Grappling For Beginners: How To Strike, Hold & Throw comes Drinking For Beginners: How To Survive Dwarf Spirits!
[bq]Some scholars believe that civilization would not exist if alcohol had not given early peoples a reason to settle in one place where they could make alcoholic beverages. Certainly, drinking is an important part of many cultures. To many, socializing over a couple of drinks is a cherished and enjoyable tradition, while others decry alcoholism as an unavoidable source of clumsiness and stupidity. Alcoholic drinks are commonplace at nearly any festival or tavern, and sometimes drinking is the focus of a game or competition. Like in real life, too much drinking in-game can make people sick and ruin their fun, but a little drunkenness can add to the merriment of all.

This 6-page supplement by Russell Morrissey and Ryan Nock deals with alcholic drinks and their effects in-game. Now you can easily run a drinking contest between your PC and that burly half-orc!

The rules cover drink strengths and types, increasng effects of drunkeness, hangovers and recovery, along with an appendix listing various exotic fantasy drinks and their strengths and effects.

These rules orginally appeared in Tournaments, Fairs & Taverns.[/bq]

Coming very soon from EN Publishing:
  • Fiends of Sin: Seven Deadly Fiends For Seven Deadly Sins
  • Grappling For Advanced Students: How To Master Your Chi!
  • EN Publishing Spell Cards

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
How does this differ from what's in the Taverner's Trusty Tome (also from ENWorld Publishing)?

Not that I need an excuse to buy more books about drinking, just like I don't need an excuse to do Jell-o shots for breakfast.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't know what's in Taverner's Trusty Tome - that was a Dark Quest Games product. As I recall, they used material from Tournaments, Fairs & Taverns, but I don't know what they used, exactly.

These rules are directly from TF&T, so if you have TF&T there's nothing new in Drinking For Beginners.

Ilium

First Post
I have TF&T, so I've seen these rules. They're very very good. Highly recommended if you don't need the whole TF&T package.

Wasgo

Explorer
Ilium said:
I have TF&T, so I've seen these rules. They're very very good. Highly recommended if you don't need the whole TF&T package.
What advantages do they add for playing with them? Is it purely for creating a role playing effect of drinking, or is there some reasons that players would actually want to drink?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Wasgo said:
What advantages do they add for playing with them? Is it purely for creating a role playing effect of drinking, or is there some reasons that players would actually want to drink?

Getting drunk gives both bonuses and penalties. The types of penalties are obvious; getting drunk gives you a bonus against fear effects and temporary hit points. Generally speaking, though, getting drunk is not regarded as a buff before combat!

Last time I used them was when a minotaur challenged a PC to a drinking contest.

Of course, depending on the drinks you create for you game, you could also have beneficial side effects. There's a list of sample drinks in the PDF - for example, Hospitaler's Mead actually heals you a little. Elven wines, etc., may well have secondary magical effects of some kind. Most drinks just get you drunk, though!

Ilium

First Post
Morrus said:
Getting drunk gives both bonuses and penalties. The types of penalties are obvious; getting drunk gives you a bonus against fear effects and temporary hit points. Generally speaking, though, getting drunk is not regarded as a buff before combat!

Last time I used them was when a minotaur challenged a PC to a drinking contest.

Of course, depending on the drinks you create for you game, you could also have beneficial side effects. There's a list of sample drinks in the PDF - for example, Hospitaler's Mead actually heals you a little. Elven wines, etc., may well have secondary magical effects of some kind. Most drinks just get you drunk, though!
That reminds me of the "elven draughts" and "orc liquor" from Lord of the Rings. I always wondered just what they put in that stuff. :)

Of course a real min-maxer would never have his character drink, just in case, but I'd say these rules are very handy for cases when the group has been hanging around the ol' tavern of an evening and suddenly someone bursts in shouting "monsters at the gate!" I'm going to try to set up my group for that and make them all Tipsy, just for fun.

And, of course, if you're stupid enough to get in a drinking contest when Dwarf Spirits are involved, you deserve what you get.

Ooh! Just had an idea for a feat:

Pistari!
Through long years of conditioning and superior blood chemistry, you can ignore the effects of alcohol with a simple shake of your head.
Requirements: Con 15, Hard Drinking
Benefit: As a full round action, you may remove a number of AUs from your system equal to your threshold. You may do this a number of times per day equal to your Con bonus.

A cookie to whoever gets the reference in the feat name. ;)

Remove ads