• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Drinking While Gaming? Warning -- mature content (I hope)

Mallus

Legend
My current homebrew could fairly be described as gin-fueled work of the imagination... And most sessions I've ran have been, for the most part, for drinkers while drinking... Does it always work? No. But we're a tolerant bunch, for the most part, and I've found that alcohol is no more disruptive an agent than my friends essential personalities, so its pretty much a non-issue.

Running whilst quaffing a few Sapphire and tonics has been interesting; for one, it gives me a perverse and childish kind of thrill that's completely divorced from the booze --look at me, semi-sophisticated cocktail in one hand and d20 in the other, perhaps I'll DM in a tux next session--, and a few drinks certainly loosesn my plots --I'm less concerned with how I mapped out the adventure and far more willing to respond to players actions, and continually give them events to respond to--, so the sessions are sloppy but less static, and my NPC's voices really begin to sing... And I'm also lucky to have a good-natured rules lawyer playing, who helps out as I begin to go fuzzy, but is a good sport when I insist on willfully overriding the rules...

I'd say the bulk of the games I've played in have been sober, and that's great too. The trick with alcohol is that it's never the alcohol; it's the people you're with.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
In my experience, drinking always detracts from the quality of the game. Although in some games, drinking can be the only thing that makes it tolerable... :)

That said, I will occasionally have a beer or three while playing, but as DM, I'll only have a beer at the tail end of a session, since I need my wits about me to do a good job. My preference is no drinking at all.

I've had some players in the far past who would go outside for "strategy sessions" and come back all giggly and needing munchies. Their quality of play definitely would go down after that. That's not much of an issue now that all of the people I play with are older.

gorgon1964

First Post
wilder_jw said:
(2) I'm amused by the few folks who have said, "I've never played with someone who used drugs, and never will." Sorry, guys, but in most cases you'd never know, and in most cases you probably already have. Nobody at the table except me would know if I were stoned or rolling, unless I decided to share the information.

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that one. That's a good one. roflmao.

Calico_Jack73

First Post
wilder_jw said:
Yet.

BTW, neither is using drugs. And that's leaving aside the question of whether drug use should be a crime at all.

Really? Try telling that to an employer and see how quick they give you the boot after you fail a piss test. :)

just__al

First Post
I homebrew. As a result, on occasion I've brought the latest something to a game for people to try. It's never enough to get drunk but some do enjoy it. Mead is especially nice since it fits into the game and I found 15 bottles I brewed in '98 when I moved and I'm so glad I didn't know I had them.

As far as smoking pot. It won't be happening at my game because you have to go out on the balcony to smoke ANYTHING and I'm not having people smoking pot where the neighbors could smell it.

If we were still at the old place (where you could smoke in the attic) I'd ask people to wait until after the game, and then to share.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
wilder_jw said:
And that's leaving aside the question of whether drug use should be a crime at all.
In any case, we can't have a debate about whether drug use should be a crime or not; such debates are too political to be allowed in EN World. Sorry. :)

BSF

Explorer
I occasionally will have a Hard lemonade if it sounds good and I am stressed moer than usual. Every once in a great while, I will have two. Wine and bear sometimes arrive at the game. Wine is mostly for special nights when we do a potluck dinner or something. Between 6 of us at the table, we will drink less than a 6 pack of anything in a 3-4 hour period.

For my other group, many of the players are underage. Again, I might occasionally have a drink to relax, but it isn't a big presence in any of my current games.

Remove ads