• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Drinking While Gaming? Warning -- mature content (I hope)

In my group drinking has been going on for a long time. We're all friends and usualy socialize for a hour before the game talking and having a beer or so. Sometimes someone has something stronger but usually beer. We all car pool also and the person driveing will have at most 1 beer in the 4-6 hours that we play. So driving is never an issue. As immature as we can be at times I don't think that anyone in my group would drink and drive. I think that everyone knows when they shouldn't drive. Some people I understand don't want to stay over somebody's house or get driven home so they feel they HAVE to drive home.

Drinking or doing drugs during a game (or going to a game under the influence) can disrupt the game no doubt. Even when member of my group have gotten drunk we've pretty much stayed on track, but that hasn't happend in a long time. One thing that you MUST be aware are your states drinking laws. Here in Mass (I'm not sure if it passed or they are trying to pass it) is a social host law. Basically if you serve or allow drinking at your house and someone leaves and gets in a accident or some incident you can be charged. It was designed to stop parents from allowing underage drinking at their homes.

If I were you I would suspend drinking at my game for the forseeable future. Sure you may all be adults but it's aserious thing and at least one of you doesn't know their limit.

Wombat

First Post
Once in a while (about every 6 sessions) I have a glass of red wine during a game; my players have a shot of rum (sometimes mixed with fruit juice) about as frequently, although we never seem to synch up ;)

I played drunk once, but since everyone else was as well and we were all crashing at the same house, it made no real difference... OTOH, I'm not in a hurry to repeat the experience. (but it made for a GREAT bachelor party! :D )

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Calico_Jack73 said:
Really? Try telling that to an employer and see how quick they give you the boot after you fail a piss test. :)

I don't have to tell it to an employer. Since I'm a lawyer -- and work for a law firm -- they already know the law.

cdsaint

First Post
I never really considered this before, but drinking hasn't occurred at any of the games I've run or been in. If it's a slow game night or special occasion we might all go out after the game, but usually would prefer to continue the game instead if we're going to be out that late. When I stumble home bleary eyed at 6 am it's usually game related.

Chris

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
Out of our two groups, here is some amount of drinking going on. For the Friday night game, alcohol is rare, but does happen. The only time it seems to definately happen is New Years. For the most part, we just drink soda (the DM has a diet coke habit he needs to maintain, afterall).
Alcohol is ever present on saturday nights, though. Lots of wine coolers and slightly stronger drinks go around. They seem to keep it in moderation, though. No one gets drunk.
About half of the Friday night group are smokers, including the GM (and we're a large group). There are generally 4-8 smoke breaks in a 6 hour session. They all go outside for their smoking.

As for me, I'm one of the nondrinkers, nonsmokers. It gives me time to check my threads and email while they're out smoking.

gorgon1964

First Post
wilder_jw said:
I don't have to tell it to an employer. Since I'm a lawyer -- and work for a law firm -- they already know the law.

LOLFOF, keep 'em coming. These are the funniest posts I've read in a lonnnnnggg time.

WizarDru

Adventurer
wilder_jw said:
(1) I'm bemused by the attitude of the many folks so far who are so vehemently anti-drug-user. (Not anti-drug ... anti-drug-user.)
Well, for one thing, I'd guess that you're out of college, now. The demographics have changed, my son. For another thing, I think you're reading more into what's been said than what has been. The issue isn't whether or not someone smoked certain weeds in the past...it's what they're doing right now, at my table, that's the issue. Precious few of the folks I've ever hung out with have even been willing to drink alcohol or coffee, let alone something stronger than that. And whlie I'm not working for a government contractor now, I did at one point, just like Calico Jack. As the primary bread-winner for my household, I can't afford another year of unemployment. Period. Does this mean I've never had someone around my table who used it in the past? Nope. I know for a fact several folks who have used one substance or another at some time in their past. But when they're sitting at my table, they get their high off the game. :)

wilder_jw said:
(2) I'm amused by the few folks who have said, "I've never played with someone who used drugs, and never will." Sorry, guys, but in most cases you'd never know, and in most cases you probably already have. Nobody at the table except me would know if I were stoned or rolling, unless I decided to share the information.
Well, I never game traditionally with anyone except friends usually, and none of them are even remotely interested....so I think I can say that with certainty. Whether or not I could detect it in others, such as yourself, is open to debate. I know it's possible and I'm sure it's happened...but at the same time, I've encountered folks who were using something considerably stronger than that particular substance who were certain their state was completely undetectable...and every person around was well aware of it. Self-delusion is a common attribute amongst some people with a problem.

Calico_Jack73

First Post
wilder_jw said:

That is kind of funny, the majority of the folks I knew who smoked pot were either lawyers or CPAs. :)

Edit: Legal or not, if it is against company policy you can still get canned if they find out you are using.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Liquidsabre said:
Beer bottles!? They stack up and only serve to distance us from our dice!!

Actually, beer cans and bottles make fantastic huge minis for a battlemat- they take up a 3x3 square admirably well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads