• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Drizzt as a LG 8th Level Champion

RotGrub

First Post
I'm not convinced he is LG and I really thought he would be a ranger.
ChBRUHaU4AAh-Za.jpg
ChBRUNbUoAA3ono.jpg

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Isn't his 'animal companion' an ancestor of a/the Pokemon?

Anyhoo - I thought he was a Fighter/Ranger (Ranger/Fighter?). I guess this way he is compatible at tables that do not allow multi-classing (like ours, for example).

If the DM/group wants to add 'more Ranger' they can always tinker with the write up as they wish.

Downlowd

First Post
He wouldn't fit PHB ranger, as it has 1/2 casting and Drizzt does not.

He's most certainly good, so no need to debate that one.

I would say he is lawful, as he follows his code (particularly that of avoiding killing other drow) to the best of his abilities at all times. Sticking to a code of conduct regardless of the cost to you, even if it's only your own code, is lawful.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
What ranger-y things does he do in the novels? Was he classed as a ranger mostly because of his dual-wielding, during the era when dual wielding ranger was where it was at?

(I have only read one Drizzt novel. Didn't hate it and might be willing to read another sometime, but it's not high on my priority list.)

Last edited:

In the books, Drizzt is only a "ranger" because he hung out with a ranger Montolio for a bit. (Supposedly he switched from fighter to ranger before 3e's multiclassing rules were invented.) He has some wilderness training and worships a nature deity, but anyone can get the former (rangers are merely better at it) and lots of people worship nature deities without being rangers.

Drizzt also sometimes has a kind of "fast rage", hence the remarks about a level or two of barbarian.

Fighter makes sense, I think NG is closer to his alignment.

RotGrub

First Post
I recall reading that RAS looked in the 1e UA manual and saw that drow could be rangers.

After reading all the novels I think it makes sense for Drizzt to first be a fighter, but once he escapes menzo he basically becomes a savage (perhaps a low level ranger) of the underdark. Of course, you could also say that he doesn't become a ranger until he reaches the surface and meets Montolio, who teaches him how to be ranger.

I also wonder what happened to his bracers. Perhaps he hasn't met Dantrag yet in this build. Of course, he has the bow which doesn't make any sense if that's the case.

Last edited:

Ahglock

First Post
Should probably have the stealth skill trained but otherwise seems fine depending on what point in his career this is. Also I'd say battle master over champion. The books focus a lot of sword styles and tricks like disarming.

Remove ads