• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Drizzt Do'Urden Poll: Love Him Or Hate Him?

Drizzt: Love Him Or Hate Him?

• I love Drizzt. He is the best thing ever.

Votes: 54 47.4%
  • I hate Drizzt. He is the worst thing ever.

Votes: 60 52.6%

Oofta

Legend
I read a lot of the books. The early ones were my favorites. After the Dark Elf trilogy I could have done without his monologues. Whiny, preachy and confused.... works better as subtext. I like the supporting cast. Some of them anyway. I also feel like he isn't as skilled as he used to be. I don't like the boomarang companions that don't stay dead.

All that said, I voted love.

Funny, I voted hate because while I was reading the books I kept glossing over the emo whiner's Drizzt's parts to the characters I actually cared about. I mean seriously, get over yourself already. Almost as bad as vampires that sparkle in the sunlight.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I fear you're suggesting that 100 years from now there will have been innumerable Drizzt movies, several television shows, including a modern day version set in NYC starring Lucy Liu's head in a jar as the panther.
Well, much of that is likely, yes.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Hate.

Hate with the fire of a thousand blazing suns, into which he should be cast one after another until even the memories have been burned away.

Then maybe - just maybe - we can have our Aragorn-based Ranger class back.

CM

Adventurer
Drizzt I don't have any problem with. It's Salvatore's many pun and cringey character names that set my teeth on edge.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
Funny, I voted hate because while I was reading the books I kept glossing over the emo whiner's Drizzt's parts to the characters I actually cared about. I mean seriously, get over yourself already. Almost as bad as vampires that sparkle in the sunlight.
I'm not gonna lie. I did exactly that in at least two books. Lol

Mad_Jack

Legend
I love to hate him... :cool:

To be honest, I have never once in my life gotten so worked up about anything in an RPG that I'd qualify as either a fanboi or a hater of it.

It wasn't even until 3.5 (and joining the WotC D&D Forum) that I realized that hating him had become such a big thing.
Back in 2nd Ed. I already had a dual-wielding drow ranger character before I'd ever heard of him - she was a Chaotic Neutral Sword Dancer of Eillistraee who used a pair of longswords instead of scimitars, and didn't give a damn if people took issue with her heritage. She was a merchant from a prominent House, and always acted like an upperclass swashbuckling libertine.

When I first began hearing about how much some people really hated Drizzt, I tweaked the character's background so that she had known Drizzt when he was younger, and had always thought he was a bit of an emo wanker.

epithet

Explorer
In real life, I don't hate the Drizzle from Benzodiazepine. I consider him to be a pablum knock-off of Elric of Melnibone, which I loved as kid and was a Big Damn Deal to me as a kid (along with Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, and I can also see a lot of Mouser elements in the Drizzle.)

The thing is... he's just too frolicing easy to make fun of. He demands mockery and derision, with his angst and emo stuff. I mean, I almost want to click "love" just because it's a blast to just pile on with the hate, you know?

But, after a moment's reflection, I realized: the only honest answer is to not respond to the poll at all.

Then I remembered that it's the internet and clicked "hate" like I was supposed to.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads