D&D 5E Drizzt Novel: Lolth's Warrior (Spoilers)

Spoiler warning in this the thread title.

I think this is the best novel Salvatore has written in a long time, but despite ending the trilogy, and the Drow civil war for now, I think the follow out will truly be covered in the next trilogy.

This novel felt like it has influence from BG3 or Solasta, because the way the cleric army fought just so remembered me of how a group of 5e clerics would fight compared to Lolth clerics in his novels do.

Also the ending has many of the Udadrow heretics going to Baldur's Gate, setting up an explanation for the Lolthian Drow presence in BG3.

I did not expect Eilistraee clerics & Paladin to play such a huge role the novel give how historically RA Salvatore made it clear he preferred to ignore her in the past.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Some folks are complaining that the novels doesn't rap everything up neatly, but that is to set the next trilogy up.
I think that decision is a pretty valid point of criticism.

While I am strongly of the belief that stories are improved by not answering all the questions that the story raises, I think it’s perfectly valid to dislike open endings that are open in order to set up the next story.

doctorbadwolf

I did not expect Eilistraee clerics & Paladin to play such a huge role the novel give how historically RA Salvatore made it clear he preferred to ignore her in the past
This part makes me want to read it.

But I also like…am still mad at him for having a literal god of good tell Cattie-Brie that her view of goblins as evil non-people that should be exterminated is correct.

So I’m torn.

But I also like…am still mad at him for having a literal god of good tell Cattie-Brie that her view of goblins as evil non-people that should be exterminated is correct.

So I’m torn.

Yeah I hated that too. My guess is it's a moral test somehow.

One thing I loved in the novel is Lolth felt the most Chaotic since the Daughter of the Drow series. It's a reminder she isn't just evil, the Abyss drove her to madness. It makes her more fun then one dimensional evil.

doctorbadwolf

Yeah I hated that too. My guess is it's a moral test somehow.

One thing I loved in the novel is Lolth felt the most Chaotic since the Daughter of the Drow series. It's a reminder she isn't just evil, the Abyss drove her to madness. It makes her more fun then one dimensional evil.
Yeah I still think Lolth (and Tiamat while we at it) doesn’t get her due cosmologically. Also are there any masculine gods of evil trapped in a hell plane?

The elves really make me not wanna cheer for the good guys sometimes lol

Sehanine is cool tho

Back on topic, it sounds like he got a really exciting bit of inspiration and ran with it, and got something cool from it. I might pick it up.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Yeah I still think Lolth (and Tiamat while we at it) doesn’t get her due cosmologically. Also are there any masculine gods of evil trapped in a hell plane?
I seem to remember that Sung Chiang wanting out of Gehenna was a considerable plot point from the Blood Wars trilogy of novels (mostly the second book, Abyssal Warriors, if I recall correctly).

The titans hating being trapped in Carceri (aka Tartarus) was also mentioned every time they were discussed (something that informed the adventure involving them in Vortex of Madness).

Moander wanting to be freed from his imprisonment is, as I recall, a fairly notable aspect of the Finder's Stone trilogy.

While he's not a god, Eltab was a demon lord that was imprisoned under Thay (in the Forgotten Realms), and his breaking free was the culmination of the novel The Crimson Gold.

Similarly, Bazim-Gorag was a slaad lord who was also imprisoned in the Realms.

Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus notes that the infernal demigod Gargauth is trapped in the Shield of the Hidden Lord (though admittedly, you find him in the city itself rather than Avernus).

Vecna was trapped in Ravenloft for the latter portion of AD&D 2nd Edition (starting with Domains of Dread and ending with Die Vecna Die!).

The derro god Diinkarazan is trapped in a layer of the Abyss by Ilsensine.

Plus, you know, Tharizdun.

Those are all just off the top of my head; I'm sure there's quite a few more.

doctorbadwolf

I seem to remember that Sung Chiang wanting out of Gehenna was a considerable plot point from the Blood Wars trilogy of novels (mostly the second book, Abyssal Warriors, if I recall correctly).
Who? The what trilogy?
The titans hating being trapped in Carceri (aka Tartarus) was also mentioned every time they were discussed (something that informed the adventure involving them in Vortex of Madness).
Maybe im mixing up lore or something but im fairly sure titans aren’t gods.
Moander wanting to be freed from his imprisonment is, as I recall, a fairly notable aspect of the Finder's Stone trilogy.
Not male/masculine. Often referred to as “it”, other times as feminine, and so only sometimes as masculine.
While he's not a god, Eltab was a demon lord that was imprisoned under Thay (in the Forgotten Realms), and his breaking free was the culmination of the novel The Crimson Gold.

Similarly, Bazim-Gorag was a slaad lord who was also imprisoned in the Realms.

Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus notes that the infernal demigod Gargauth is trapped in the Shield of the Hidden Lord (though admittedly, you find him in the city itself rather than Avernus).
Not deities.
Vecna was trapped in Ravenloft for the latter portion of AD&D 2nd Edition (starting with Domains of Dread and ending with Die Vecna Die!).
Since when is Vecna a god?
The derro god Diinkarazan is trapped in a layer of the Abyss by Ilsensine.

Plus, you know, Tharizdun.
Okay a couple actual gods, though neither as high profile as Lolth or Tiamat.
Those are all just off the top of my head; I'm sure there's quite a few more.
I doubt it.

Lots of powers, and 3 actual masculine gods, exactly one of which has some chance of being recognized by someone who doesn’t read D&D novels.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi

So I’m torn.
The thing you have to keep in mind (and yes I know this has been talked to death in other threads in the past and a lot of people don't agree and never will) is you have to see Fantasy gods like the Greek and Norse and etc Gods. They are powerful beings with wants and desires and personalities. With their own prejudices and desires etc etc. Take the label "good god" and thinking of it like a modern real world major god who's "all good all the time" isn't a fair match up.

Heck some of the Faerun gods where literally mortals who ascended but they know have to play by certain rules. Heck according to BG3 even Mystra likes to come down and lay some pipe, doesn't she have a Weave to manage?

Fantasy tropes say you can be a "god of good but goblins can kiss my divine butt." You are either going to "believe in magic" in these settings (as it where) or you aren't.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Who? The what trilogy?
Google is your friend, chum.
Maybe im mixing up lore or something but im fairly sure titans aren’t gods.
From page 33 of Vortex of Madness: "The Titans should be considered intermediate powers."

Just in case you're not aware, "powers" was a synonym used for "gods" in a lot of AD&D.
Not male/masculine. Often referred to as “it”, other times as feminine, and so only sometimes as masculine.
Note the listing for Moander's presentation on page 120 of Faiths & Avatars: "Moander could manifest as the intangible image of a rotting hulk that resembled a giant, floating, disembodied male human head..." So he was clearly male-presenting.
Not deities.
That's iffy; D&D has traditionally been very flexible as to whether or not demon lords and slaad lords are gods or not (e.g. see the note on page 90 of the AD&D 1E Deities & Demigods).
Since when is Vecna a god?
Animated GIF

Okay a couple actual gods, though neither as high profile as Lolth or Tiamat.
Ah, so now it's "high profile" male deities of evil? You carry those goalposts! (And we all know that Vecna isn't high-profile. No sir, not at all.)
I doubt it.
That's understandable, given how little lore you seem to know.
Lots of powers, and 3 actual masculine gods, exactly one of which has some chance of being recognized by someone who doesn’t read D&D novels.
Right, so in other words, you complained that there were none, and when you were shown to be laughably wrong, you hastily backtracked and made it about recognizability rather than whether or not there were any.

Last edited:

Remove ads