• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

drnuncheon's Freeport Story Hour presents: Monte Cook's QUEEN OF LIES

Lela

First Post
Knightfall1972 said:
Bump...

*sigh* Another story hour I'm now hooked on. That makes three including Sep and P'cat's excellent story hours.

Keep up the good work Dr. N.

Cheers!

KF72

Heh, only three? You're missing out on some great literature.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Sep & Pcat? I'm in scary good company.

Sorry for the lack of updates of late - I've been simultaneously searching for employment and working on some writing that might actually bring in some money (as well as beginning to run Book III!) so working on Book II has fallen a bit more behind. More details on all of these things as events warrant.

J

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Lela said:

Heh, only three? You're missing out on some great literature.

Yes, I know that's a short list, but I don't want to get to deep into too many story hours. I was reading Taboo's story hour for a while, but Taboo has disappeared from the story hour forum for some reason. This had made me more choosy about what I start reading. If a story hour author has more than one thread that is finished then I'm more likely to read his or her stuff.

I'm interested in reading about The Jester's Cydra campaign setting but I'm not sure where to start for that one. I know he's got at least two threads with one complated but I'm not sure if the completed one is the starting point or not.

drnuncheon said:
Sep & Pcat? I'm in scary good company.

Sorry for the lack of updates of late - I've been simultaneously searching for employment and working on some writing that might actually bring in some money (as well as beginning to run Book III!) so working on Book II has fallen a bit more behind. More details on all of these things as events warrant.

J

No worries about the lack of updates. Real Life concerns always come first. (God knows I've got tons of those concerns pressing down on me right now.) Good luck on the writing project.

Oh and I'd say Dru and Di'Fier are two of my favorite story hour characters, being right up there with Agar, Dylrath, Mostin, Nolin, Nwm, Ortwin, Tao, TomTom, and Velendo. You are your players are, indeed, in good company.

KF72

drnuncheon

Explorer
As DRU and DI'FIER climb into the carriage, the camera pulls back, high into the sky, for an overhead view of the city. The sun bursts forth above the mountain, turning the river and waterfall into brilliant silver-gold. As it rises, we see the light slowly creeping from west to east as it climbs higher and the shadow of the mountains shortens. The camera focuses in on one particular section of the city, where ornate and intricate towers abound, and a strange obsidian pillar juts up into the sky - the WIZARD'S QUARTER.]

EXT - WIZARD'S QUARTER - DAY

[The streets of the Wizard's Quarter are packed even at this early hour - vendors, deliverymen, familiars flying overhead. There is no sound but the musical score - something sweeping, baroque, and lively. A wizard walks past, his purchases trailing along behind him as they float in midair. From am alley, an apprentice snickers as he makes a gesture, and one of the packages on the bottom of the stack slides - a half inch...an inch...and then topples off of the invisible disc it was resting on, sending the rest of the stack scattering amid the crowds. The apprentice vanishes as the wizard yells in silent rage.

From out of the chaos emerges a figure - short, stumpy, with craggy features and a large auburn beard. This is the dwarf, GARTO. He is dressed more like a tradesman than he is a warrior or a wizard - the only concession to his dwarfhood the enormous axe slung across his back. He stumps through the streets and comes to a building of bluish-gray granite, with a tower on each side. He pauses, then heads up the steps to the southern tower.]

INT - HOUSE OF UNIVERSAL WIZARDRY - DAY

[Lit by spheres of magical light, the hall is rich and sumptuous. A CLERK sits behind a mahogany desk, and looks up as GARTO enters. As the door closes behind GARTO, the sounds of the score are muffled.]

GARTO: Just came t'pick up my research materials.

CLERK: Of course, Magus.

[The CLERK returns to writing as GARTO heads past him towards the stairs. Suddenly, he looks up.]

CLERK: Magus? There was something else.

GARTO (pauses on the first step): Enh?

CLERK: There was someone looking for you. An elf. From Freeport, if I recognize the accent.

[GARTO begins to look worried.]

CLERK: She seemed a bit...rough. Especially with that scar.

[GARTO turns, taking his foot off the step.]

GARTO: Did she say what she wanted?

CLERK: She said she 'just wanted to talk to you'. She was rather insistent about that wording.

[GARTO bolts for the door as fast as his legs will carry him.]

CLERK (standing): Magus? Your research materials? Magus?

INT - CARRIAGE HOUSE - DAY

[View from floor level of the dusty floorboards, and a bored looking TICKET SELLER leaning on his desk. We hear the door open, and heavy footsteps thump rapidly across the floor. A leather bag slams down, filling the field of view, and the camera PANS UP to see that GARTO his feet an inch from the floor, has leapt up and grabbed the counter with one hand and the SELLER with the other. He keeps looking over his shoulder as he speaks.]

GARTO: Where's the next carriage going to? When does it leave?

[The camera PANS around behind GARTO and ZOOMS OUT, showing us the two enormous bags that he's brought with him.]

GARTO: (not waiting for an answer) East Coast Highway? Threehills? That's fine!

DI'FIER (O.S.): Threehills is lovely this time of year.

[EXTREME CLOSEUP on GARTO as his eye widens in panic. Then CUT back to the previous shot as DRU and DI'FIER step into view. GARTO lets go of the TICKET SELLER and drops to the ground.]

GARTO: Look, if this is about Black Dog's treasure, I can explain...

DRU: Oh, no, we were over that long ago.

DI'FIER: We just want to have a little chat with you.

[They move in, picking up the still protesting GARTO by his arms, and begin to carry him out. At the door, they pause, and DI'FIER pulls a gold coin from his pouch.]

DI'FIER: Watch these bags, will you?

[He flips the coin through the air. FOCUS on it as it travels, while the background changes behind it.]

INT - TAVERN - DAY

[It's loud and raucous. The BARTENDER snatches the coin out of the air, bites it to see if it's real, and nods, starting to draw their drinks. DRU, DI'FIER, and GARTO sit around a small table.]

GARTO: You're sure you don't mind about the treasure?

DI'FIER: Of course not.

DRU: We were a little upset at first, but we had a little...talk with Amalyth.

DI'FIER: But that's not what we're here about at all.

[The BARTENDER thumps their drinks onto the table and leaves.]

DRU: We want to talk about Silathenial.

GARTO (puzzled): Silathenial? It's a myth.

[DRU nods to DI'FIER, who pulls out an ornate dagger and sets it on the table.]

DI'FIER: It's no myth.

[GARTO picks up the dagger, looking it over intently, muttering to himself.]

GARTO: That maker's mark...it almost looks like Dormarkhergos, but not quite...and the decoration seems like elven work.

DI'FIER: Exactly what Falthar said.

GARTO: Silathenial. Mountainhome. The mythical city in the caverns, where both elves and dwarves lived together. (He shakes his head) First pirate treasure, now this. One of these days you two are going to get me killed. (he frowns) But why do you need me, anyway?

DRU: You speak Valossan.

GARTO (laughs): Nobody speaks Valossan, it's a dead language.

DI'FIER (taking the dagger): I guess this won't be the only surprise for you...

Zarthon

Explorer
drnuncheon [b said:
GARTO[/b] (laughs): Nobody speaks Valossan, it's a dead language.

DI'FIER (taking the dagger): I guess this won't be the only surprise for you...

Shame poor Garto :D

Last edited:

drnuncheon

Explorer
INT - TEMPLE OF KNOWLEDGE CRYPTS - NIGHT

[The room is large, hewn from the rock beneath the city. Biers stand around the edges of the room, white-clad forms lying on them. The chamber is lit by hundreds of candles. EGIL enters, dressed in ceremonial robes, followed by DRU, DI'FIER, and GARTO.]

EGIL (softly): I will speak with the spirit of Darnesthi Dreamwatcher...but I must have silence. Speaking with the dead is rarely pleasant...nor is it particularly safe.

[The others array themseves in a rough semicircle as EGIL turns to the bier and the elven woman arrayed upon it. He raises his arms and begins chanting in the stentorian tones of the Celestial language. Wisps of vapor arise from the floor and coalesce around him, orbiting him for a moment before settling over the body. Gradually they begin to resemble DARNESTHI, and the misty figure singls into the corpse, which jolts. The eyes open, slowly, but do not look at anything.]

EGIL (firmly, now in English): Spirit of the Dreamwatcher, I have called you back to this plane to speak of that which killed you.

DARNESTHI (whispered): You have called. I have come. Ask your questions.

EGIL: Who did you see attacking the temple?

DARNESTHI (whispered): ...elves. Black elves.

DRU: Black elves?

[DI'FIER shushes DRU.]

EGIL: What did they want?

DARNESTHI (whispered): ...Varian...and Naïlo...

[EGIL swallows, composing himself and collecting his will. Sweat forms on his face.]

EGIL: How can we find them?

DARNESTHI (whispered): ...speak...

[DARNESTHI'S body begins to twitch on the slab, and the strain on EGIL's face grows greater.]

EGIL: Speak?

DARNESTHI (louder now): ...speak with the fouler (her back arches, the body writhes, and the next words are nearly screamed) of those below!

[On the last word the candles are all snuffed and the room is plunged into darkness. A moment passes, and then a whispered word is heard. A light begins to glow in DI'FIER's hand. CUT to EGIL, looking very pale.]

EGIL: I sincerely hope that we were not just told to summon a demon.

EXT - NEW CITY - NIGHT

[DRU and DI'FIER wander through the streets, which are barely less busy than they are during the day - just lit by torchlight and lanterns now.]

DI'FIER: So they were looking for you.

DRU: But they were looking for Varian as well. Why would they be so interested in the politics of Highgate?

[DI'FIER has paused, and is sniffing the air, a disgusted expression on his face.]

DRU: Di'Fier?

DI'FIER: What...is that smell?

DRU (sniffs): It's the sewers, Di'Fier. Just like in Freeport.

DI'FIER: ...below the city. 'Speak with the foulest of those below.'

DRU: Fouler.

DI'FIER (reflectively): You'd think the God of Knowledge would have a better grasp on grammar. (shakes head) Anyway, maybe there's someone down there who can help us.

DRU: Great. Why do these things always end up with us going into the sewers?

INT - MIDDENMAN'S WHARF - NIGHT

[DRU and DI'FIER descend into a monstrous brick room, almost cathedral-like in its immensity. In the center, a river of sewage, and on the river, barges. A small figure - PERKINS - detaches itself from one of the shadowy boats, leaping from barge to barge to get to the shore. As he enters the light we see he is old and filthy.]

PERKINS: Are you the cleaners?

DRU and DI'FIER look at each other.

DI'FIER: I don't think so...

PERKINS: Damn. One of the cubes has gotten loose, we've got no idea where it's at. Best be careful down here.

DRU: Cubes?

PERKINS: Gelatinous ones, miss. Eat the garbage.

DI'FIER: Are you...in charge of these sewers?

PERKINS (grins): That's me. Harold Perkins, Cleaning and Scraping Committee.

DI'FIER (nonplussed): We're...investigating a crime, and we were told to speak with the foulest of those below.

[PERKINS looks offended.]

DRU: We didn't mean you. (shoots DI'FIER a glare) And he actually said 'the fouler of those below'.

DI'FIER: He couldn't have meant that unless there were only two people down here.

PERKINS: Fouler? Fowler!

DRU: Beg pardon?

PERKINS: Fallaranthropistemort. That's his full name, but most of us call him 'Fowler'. He's a gnome. Keeps bats. Collects them. He does a lot of exploring for his job.

DI'FIER: Some sort of safety inspector?

PERKINS (hawks and spits): Nah. He collects guano.

DRU: Guano?

PERKINS: For his cousin. Kolter. Owns Kolter Clockworks. Not a damn clue what he does with it, though. You'll probably find Fowler in the Mining District. He always gets a drunk on after he's been paid. Just follow your nose.

DI'FIER: Thank you.

[DI'FIER and DRU head for the exit.]

DRU: Kolter Clockworks, eh?

[Simultaneously, their hands go to their belts, withdrawing their flintlocks and looking at them. CUT to a closeup of the gun. The torches shine off of the brass plates on the sides of the guns, and we see they are engraved with an ornate 'K'. The pistols are replaced, and DRU and DI'FIER head up the ladder.]

EXT - MINING DISTRICT - DAY

[DRU and DI'FIER push their way through crowds of miners on their way to work. Every so often, DI'FIER pauses to sniff the air. We see him proceed as DRU stops a miner and begins talking to him. He takes a few steps, sniffs, takes a few more steps, sniffs again, looks down at his boot. He bends down, sniffs, makes a face, and straightens up. DRU arrives behind him.]

DRU: If you're through playing bloodhound, the taverns are this way. Right outside the mines, wher ethe miners can hit them first thing after their shift.

[They follow the flow of the miners as the camera backs up, then zooms through the air to an alley, in which a tiny figure is parked, comatose. The gnome sits strapped to a backpack that is almost as large as he is, with all manner of tools hanging from it: shovel, pick, rope, chisel, a small cage containing a bat, and a blunderbuss. The gnome, pack, and utensils are discolored and spotted from long abuse, and liberaly sprinkled with guano. This is FOWLER.]

[As we watch, two pairs of boots come into the screen.]

DI'FIER: This must be him.

DRU: Think we'll get anything out of him?

DI'FIER: Egil says that the dead don't lie.

DRU: I wonder how he moves with a pack that size? He must be a strong little guy.

[The left-hand pair of boots takes a step closer, and a hand reaches down to flip the top of the pack open.]

[CUT to a long shot, resembling something from the bottom of a very deep hole. At the top, sky, which is suddenly partially blocked by DRU's face. A moment later, DI'FIER's appears as well.

DI'FIER: It's a magical backpack.

DRU: ...and he uses it to store bat sh*t.

INT - BROCAIL'S MAIN ROOM - DAY

[DRU and DI'FIER enter, crossing the main room of the inn, carrying FOWLER and his pack between them. As they pass, conversation ceases and people turn to stare at the smelly gnome. DRU leans over to the innkeeper as they stagger towards the stairs.]

DRU: We'll need three baths.

INNKEEPER (gagging): A...a bath for each of you?

[color][DRU looks thoughtful for a moment.][/color]

DRU: Good idea. Five baths.

[DRU and DI'FIER exit up the stairs.]

INT - DI'FIER'S ROOM - DAY

[DI'FIER is vigorously scrubbing the semiconscious FOWLER with a long-handled brush as DRU relaxes in one of the tubs. Through the windows, we can see the rest of the city, and the ocean beyond it.]

DI'FIER: I don't see why we had to do this in my room.

DRU: It was closer, and I wasn't carrying that smelly little creature up another flight of stairs. Besides, you have a nice view. All I have are those mountains.

DI'FIER: I like the mountains. They're exotic. (he dunks FOWLER< who comes up coughing and spluttering) I think he's awake.

FOWLER (thrashing): Fowler is drowning! Fowler is drowning!

[DI'FIER heaves the gnome to his feet in the tub. As soon as he lets go, FOWLER crouches under the water to his eyes. Gradually, the rest of his face emerges.]

FOWLER: Why you try to drown Fowler?

DI'FIER: I'm not trying to drown you. I'm trying to clean you. Although I think we're going to need another bath.

[Behind him and out of focus in the background, DRU steps out of hers and wraps a robe around herself.]

DRU: You can use this one if he needs another rinse.

FOWLER: Fowler is clean enough.

DI'FIER (sniffs): No, he isn't.

FOWLER: Why you bathe Fowler? Where is Fowler's drink?

DRU: We need to talk to you, Fowler. Did you see anything in the sewers, three nights ago?

FOWLER: Fowler saw many things. There was a chipped brick three rows up from the bottom and twelve feet in in the easternmost tunnel leading from the manhole on the street of the glassworkers. There was...

DI'FIER (holding up a hand): Did you see anything unusual? Any people?

DRU: Black elves?

FOWLER: Fowler saw black elves and spiders. They came from a new tunnel that should not have been there.

DI'FIER: A new tunnel? Where did it go?

FOWLER: Down.

Remove ads