Droid characters starting XP/Stats

aramis erak

Legend
The ability to get two overlaps more easily makes those worth 10 XP each, not 5 XP each, since rank 2 in a skill requires level 1 and 10 xp.

Most carreer/specialization pairs have at least one skill, many have two, and several have three or four, so those extra ranks can be (and in some cases, must be- 6/8 and 3/4 when the four are all in 8) overlaps. Which makes the overlaps worth 10 XP if taken as the extra ranks from droids bonus skills. And the areas where droids are common - mechanics and piloting - have heavy overlaps, making the value of those three extra ranks more likely to be 25 than 15; in cases like the Ace Pilot, they can be worth 30 points.

aramis erak

Legend
Unless you're treating the ranks like the human ability (and the text is different), I dont understand how to make it worth 25 exp. Few specs have more than 2 overlaps (and the droid can only get a third anyways).

Prior to spending racial starting exp
The droid ace gets gunnery 2, astrogation 2, pilot 2 and 3 skills at 1.
The rodian gets, lets say, gunner 2, astrogation 2, and 2 skills at 1.

In the best case scenario I could see, they get an extra 20 exp.The droid hired gun, for example, is still only 15 points over his competition (5-10 really, as most races get 1 rank in a skill)

Am I missing something? Thanks for helping me with this btw!

Droid ace gets 6 of: Astrogation, Cool, Gunnery, Mechanics, Perception, Piloting (Planetary), Piloting (Space), Ranged (Light)
and 3 of: Astrogation, Gunnery, Piloting (Planetary), Piloting (Space)

He can only take 1 rank each during the career step... Astrogation 1, Gunnery 1, Piloting (Planetary) 1, Piloting (Space) 1, Cool 1, Mechanics 1
During the Specialty step: Gunnery +1, Piloting (Planetary)+1, Piloting (Space)+1
for a total of 0 XP and Astrogation 1, Gunnery 2, Piloting (Planetary) 2, Piloting (Space) 2, Cool 1, Mechanics 1

Rodian
Career Gets 4: Astrogation 1, Piloting (Planetary) 1, Piloting (Space) 1, Gunnery 1
Specialty gets two more: Piloting (space)+1, gunnery +1
For a total of Astrogation 1, Piloting (Planetary) 1, Piloting Space 2, Gunnery 2

Has to spend 10 to match pilot planetary, 5 each to match mechanics and cool. for a 20 point difference.
If the specializations don't overlap the career, it's 15 points difference (3x5).
But note that experienced players often don't overlap when they can, so unless there's hard overlaps...
(and note: An ace pilot or ace driver usually won't overlap)...
In which case it's 3 skills at 2 & 3 at 1 instead of 6 at 1 each... for a 30 point difference.
Why? because (1) most don't do the math, (2) a second level of skill is less valuable than the first, despite costing more.
(3) Droid players are more likely to be looking for the overlaps, too.

In play, anything past level 3 is someone who's maxed out 2-3 trees already, or who is playing a corellian and raised pilot just because it's in character to do so.

aramis erak

Legend
One other thing - the human ability is worth 10 points - so humans are effectively 120 points plus base stats...
but the typical alien is -20+30=+10 overall before special abilities, and has two 5-15 point abilities. (Most of the racial talents can be found for 5 points on one tree or another; many racial abilities look to be rated at 10 points balance wise...) And the lack of racial prejudice is easily worth 5-10 points...

All racial skills are (for balance) apparently treated as career skills.

Oh, and base points for attributes are ((2 ranks)*attributes)+((10 ranks)*2 thresholds)=((10+20)*6)+((10*5)*2)=(30*6)+(50 * 2)=180+100=280...

FFG-SW Alpha Playtesters are asked if the combination of abilities and base points feels right. Some have been adjusted 5 points one way or the other... but it's pretty consistent.

In looking at it, it appears a base of 125+(all atts @2)+(both WT & ST at 10+Stat)+(Carry @5+stat)+(Cyber Limit=Brawn) is the presumed. Default humans seem to get charged 5 points for ubiquity and/or flexibility.

Argyle King

Legend
It's worth mentioning that Droids are immune to a lot of things that biological life forms are not. ...some force powers even.

The amount of cybernetic implants you can get is also (if I recall correctly) a set number instead of being based on Brawn.

I'm admittedly pretty fuzzy on the rules. It's been a year or so since I've played>

Remove ads