• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Drow and spell-like abilities

Telas

Explorer
Simple question, really: Can a Drow see through his own Darkness?

If it were a spell, the answer's easy: No.

Since it's an innate spell-like ability, and the Dark Elves have excellent Darkvision, it makes a certain sense that they are basically unaffected by their own Darkness.

Comments?

This also raises the knotty subject of relative darkensses. If you cast a Darkness spell on a moonless night, how does it affect a Human? He can barely see to move, but under Darkness rules ("shadowy illumination"), he can actually see better. Of course, this is where the "DM's Common Sense" comes in.

As a DM, I dread the thought of competing areas of Darkness, Deeper Darkness, a torch, Light and Daylight spells....

Telas

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
Rename "darkness" to "reduce light" and you will have a cleaner, easier to understand spell. If it's dark, it stays dark. If someone tries to shine a light into it, it only brightens to shadowy illumination.

Telas

Explorer
Kershek said:
Rename "darkness" to "reduce light" and you will have a cleaner, easier to understand spell. If it's dark, it stays dark. If someone tries to shine a light into it, it only brightens to shadowy illumination.

Good way to put it, and that's basically how I interpret it. Yet another example of poor wording in the rules.

Telas

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Telas said:
Simple question, really: Can a Drow see through his own Darkness?

If it were a spell, the answer's easy: No.

Spell-like abilities are like spells in most regards.

In fact, this particular case has a lot of reverence in the literature. In R.A. Salvatores Drizzt Series, drow often conjure darkness and then use their training of fighting in complete darkness to gain the edge (blind-fight is very popular with drow fighters).

Telas

Explorer
KaeYoss said:
In fact, this particular case has a lot of reverence in the literature. In R.A. Salvatores Drizzt Series, ...

Which explains everything. I'm not a huge fan of Salvatore or Drizzt. Thanks for the input.

T

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads