Drow Cutlass (work in progress)

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
This is coming along nicely! What software are you using to model this? Is it true 3D, in that you can rotate your work in progress image to get different angles like the pictures you've shared so far?

Blackrat,
yup, to get textures right you have to "UV map" the model, you have to sort of tell the program how textures will fit to a 3D shape by laying a map onto it, if you do it well, it lets textures fit much better, but UV mapping is kind of an art in itself!

"Broken Steel" for Fallout3, as I stopped playing until it was out so it unlocks the levle cap ;)

Jaerdaph,
ta! :)
I use Rhino 4 for modelling. Render in Maxwell.
Oh yeah true 3D I suppose I could do an animation but I'm not veyr familiar with Maxwell as I only use it for test and beauty shots of my models as alas, it won't work with Vue, which my main scene building app
(I bought Maxwell ages ago in alpha test phase, as it was going to have a Vue plug in, but they never made it, grrrr!!!!)

I like Rhino because I think in outlines, plans, etc and did technicla drawing at school, so for non-organic objects, I love it. It also has "layers" like Photoshop, which makes modelling sooooo much easier!

this is my RHino modelling page:
3d Art: Rhino
:)

Well, more work done! :)
re-build the guard for the hand entirely, lots of little tweaks n' stuff.

next, to build a sheath, then UV map it all and texture it.

[sblock="More work"]
drow_cutlass14.jpg

drow_cutlass13.jpg

Fuller, showing how the blade thins as a hand made blade would. I tapered the blade's thickness down after roughing it out, hence different pics, and it's not as angular as bottom 2 show as the blade isn't finely meshed yet so it looks too polygonal.

drow_cutlass_fuller5.jpg

[/sblock]

Remove ads