D&D 5E Drow "Sunlight Sensitivity" workarounds?

Oofta

Legend
Return of the Living Thread!
Zombie drow?
download (58).jpg

ECMO3

Hero
My question: what can the enterprising DM do to encourage players away from the stable, sure-bet that are the fantasy sunglasses represented by option (1)?

I don't think mundane sunglasses counter sunlight sensitivity. It is being in the sun IMO that causes it, kind of like someone that suffers from Albinism IRL. I think he could be completely blinded and if he is in sunlight the penalties still apply.

I would allow for a magic item to cure it, but I would either require attunement or make it a consumable (i.e. sunscreen)

In a game I played we also at a players request added a custom feat. It was called daylight adaption and it eliminated all penalties associated with sunlight sensitivity. If I remember correctly there was a ribbon on the feat that it also provided immunity to the Color Spray spell and gave resistance to radiant damage.

Another thing to note is where there is sunlight there are also shadows unless you are on a desert-landscape. Those areas are still in bright light, but they are not in sunlight. So a PC should be asking which enemies are in the shadows and where are the shadows.

Finally while sunglasses don't work for this, an umbrella does as long as the enemy being attacked or area being perceived is not in sunlight.

Horwath

Legend
I don't think mundane sunglasses counter sunlight sensitivity. It is being in the sun IMO that causes it, kind of like someone that suffers from Albinism IRL. I think he could be completely blinded and if he is in sunlight the penalties still apply.

I would allow for a magic item to cure it, but I would either require attunement or make it a consumable (i.e. sunscreen)

In a game I played we also at a players request added a custom feat. It was called daylight adaption and it eliminated all penalties associated with sunlight sensitivity. If I remember correctly there was a ribbon on the feat that it also provided immunity to the Color Spray spell and gave resistance to radiant damage.

Another thing to note is where there is sunlight there are also shadows unless you are on a desert-landscape. Those areas are still in bright light, but they are not in sunlight. So a PC should be asking which enemies are in the shadows and where are the shadows.

Finally while sunglasses don't work for this, an umbrella does as long as the enemy being attacked or area being perceived is not in sunlight.
I would say that is some kind of welding mask.

It would work for daylight as darkvision, colors would be hard to discern.
Disadvantage to Perception and all sight based ability checks, but no penalty to attack rolls.
And no limit in range.

In short, darkvision for bright light with no range limit.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
I would say that is some kind of welding mask.

It would work for daylight as darkvision, colors would be hard to discern.
Disadvantage to Perception and all sight based ability checks, but no penalty to attack rolls.
And no limit in range.

In short, darkvision for bright light with no range limit.
This is my favorite solution- 120ft of darkvision comes with the penalty of sunlight sensitivity; I understand why players would want to negate a hindering feature like sunlight sensitivity, but why should such a thing be kosher without it having some cost? An attunement slot magic item would be the feasible, but I really like the "while wearing this mask, you have dim light penalties in sunlight" more.

Horwath

Legend
This is my favorite solution- 120ft of darkvision comes with the penalty of sunlight sensitivity; I understand why players would want to negate a hindering feature like sunlight sensitivity, but why should such a thing be kosher without it having some cost? An attunement slot magic item would be the feasible, but I really like the "while wearing this mask, you have dim light penalties in sunlight" more.
120ft darkvision is not enough for sunlight penalty. I think that Faery fire and Darkness are in that calculation.

from 0 to 60ft darkvison is good, as you negate the need of light source in darkness and being a damn moving lighthouse with huge bullseye on you.
60->120ft is just gravy, few times it will matter but most dungeons are 60ft or less of clear line of sight.

Aother thing to note is where there is sunlight there are also shadows unless you are on a desert-landscape. Those areas are still in bright light, but they are not in sunlight. So a PC should be asking which enemies are in the shadows and where are the shadows.
That's what I do with my duergar character. It's a lot of fun too. It adds a new layer tactics to encounters, and it really plays up on the character's uniqueness*.

* " "

Remove ads