• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Drow War: Are they any good?

phoenixgod2000

First Post
I'm thinking about picking up the three drow war books from Mongoose. I like the idea behind taking the characters from first to thirtieth level. Question is, are they any good? Particularly the higher and epic level adventures?

Whats the consensus?

Crothian

First Post
I only have the first one and I do like it. I think there is a good variety of adventrues and hooks and things for the PCs to do.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
I have all three based off over more positive than not review notes here at EN World. Haven't read every word of every page, but I got a jist:

Monsters are all OGL, so some DMs may want to spend some time replacing the critters therein with some newer beasties for variety.

Many missing maps, all of which eventually made it to Mongoose's website as free downloads, so that's forgiven (but sloppy).

Not easily adapted to an exsisting campaign world. It comes with it's own world and flavor and while it could be converted the work necessary would be extreme.

The adventure hooks, writing, and ideas are all quite original and a real joy to read. The adventures are never stock, filler, or typical, and there is a definate LACK of railroading. There are even loads of non-combat encounters! :eek:

I like it, and can't wait to run it.

-DM Jeff

buzzard

First Post
They are OK. I have finished running the first one and am just into the second. They have some editing and stat errors, and the maps are really lackluster. Also given the power boosts which the PCs are granted as part of the storyline, the NPC villains are usually statted up in a weak fashion. My PCs would be running roughshod over me if they were a bunch of tactical minded power gamers(luckily I am instead, so the baddies can keep up). However the story and content variety is pretty good. It gives the PCs plenty of options while still moving them along in the way the campaign has to go.

buzzard

Remove ads