• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Drow War (Complete Series I-III)

So, the review section is down, and I don't remember there being any reviews of Drow War III up at all.

Has anyone gotten DW III? How is it? How does it handle epic-level characters?

I only have DW I. If anyone has the entire trilogy, how does it function as a whole? How does it compare (story- and adventure-wise, not maps-&-art-wise) to products like Shackled City, Age of Worms, and Slavelords of Cydonia?

Thanks,

Ragnar

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
I have Drow War III. A cursory glance over it was a bit disappointing to me, but I'm holding out hope. There is a REALLY cool villlain and a lot of politiking, but I'm not too sure about the adventure style: lots of plane hopping to find the McGuffin. Again, it's a cursory glance. I have not read it in detail yet and can't really say.

I have done reviews of DWI and DWII on ENWorld and gave them both five stars. I absolutely love the series pre-DWIII. I have been criticized for rating DWII five stars even with its shortcomings. I think the story and mix of adventures there was very cool and that's what was important to me.

Anyhow, I'm the local Drow War fanboy and I'm not impressed with DWIII . . . yet. I'm going to devote a weekend to reading it pretty soon (probably two weekends from now) and will likely do a review of it at that point.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Is my understanding correct that the war, per se, essentially ends in Part II, but that the consequences of the war then open the door for cosmic awfulness in Part III?

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Is my understanding correct that the war, per se, essentially ends in Part II, but that the consequences of the war then open the door for cosmic awfulness in Part III?
Eh, it could easily be worked that way. It's a little more complex than that, and you could easily adapt the story such that the Drow War is not even required for the campaign. You could easily tack Drow War III onto the end of most campaigns than run into epic levels.

The gist of the story is that the motivating force from books I and II still exists and is still working towards a "greater evil." The PCs from Drow War I and II happen to be the powerful representatives from the world of Ashfar (setting for books I and II) that are sent/summoned to the "planar council" to deal with the problem.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads