• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Drugs, Wealth score, and a new campaign

Alaska Roberts

First Post
Hi Again,

Since the people of this forum have been so succesful in helping me in the past, I thought I would bring my new campaign here and see if you can take care of a couple problems.

One, Drugs. This is going to be a starting level drug dealer campign, drugs will be everywhere, I need to know how this is going to affect the players and NPCs alike, rules wise. I think I remember a thread on drugs, but couldnt find it.

Two, Wealth and the drug dealer, drugs and money go hand in hand, so I am going to make them very aware of the money at all times. So in this instance I don;t think the wealth system as it is will work. Any suggestions? I was thinking of keeping track of all it, but if someone has an idea....

Any ideas or suggestions anyone has for this or any other ideas you feel like tossing in, please do so. NPC's, plot lines, hooks, villians, etc, etc....

Thanks

Alaska

bubbalin

First Post
well, keeping track of money is fine, because the wealth system really assumes the presence of financial institutions and the like. So if they're running out of the law, and don't have bank aco:):):):)s, etc, then actual money should be fine...

Len

Prodigal Member
(This is just off the top of my head.)

I don't see why you need to ditch the wealth system. "Drugs and money" is just like any other crime and money. Unless the PCs are the drug dealers and the game is like Monopoly with crack & guns - then money would be how you keep score. But if the players are going around busting up drug deals and defeating druglords, then any drugs and money they come across is just loot. Give the players a wealth award like in any other Modern game.

The effect on characters: Addicts should have to make a wealth check every day or week to buy their drugs. I don't know what the DC is. Ask an expert. :) If a junkie fails this check then no drugs for him - and he might do something desperate to get his fix, e.g. robbery, holding up a drug dealer, or snitching his dealer to the PCs.

Tellerve

The drugs and such were at a post about Tranquilizer Darts, at least that is where some talk of poisons came up. I believe another thread, titled or having something to do with Opium was also posted up recently.

As for wealth, I agree with above in terms of the wealth coming in from a higher up boss. If they are their own, well, then I know C. Baize, err, I think it was him, but maybe it was someone else, has done a bit of a change to the wealth system on their site. I'll have to root around and see if I can find the link, and also if it is truely appropriate for what you want.

Tellerve

The drug rules should be scaleing..... like 1-5 uses nothing really happens, 5-10 you get addicted and -1 to all rolls when not on drugs... ect.

Things like speed should give you the haste affect, at least when you start.

most drugs are easy to figure out what they do, so you can figure it out.

jessemock

First Post
the notorious jim said:
The drug rules should be scaleing..... like 1-5 uses nothing really happens, 5-10 you get addicted and -1 to all rolls when not on drugs... ect.

Things like speed should give you the haste affect, at least when you start.

most drugs are easy to figure out what they do, so you can figure it out.

The Book of Vile Darkness has rules for drug abuse in D20; they're not entirely reasonable, but, hey, Cook does present drugs in the 'Evil Equipment' chapter so...

I'd hesitate to allow a haste effect from speed, as, well, it just doesn't work that way.

But that's really the tough part: how to represent game-mechanical effects for drugs? Most of the ones we know in the RW should provide only penalties; the rest of their effects should come through role-playing.

The BoVD drugs provide benefits--mostly stat. boosts--at the cost of penalties and possible addiction.

Over at RPGnow whoever publishes Haven has a dollar-fifty drug supplement. It requires conversion, but the drugs are presented through a nifty system that you can use to produce custom (designer?) substances.

Alaska Roberts

First Post
Did the BOVD, and it was no help at all, unless I just want to change the drugs to something normal. I mean how many times is Agony going to show itself in a d20 Modern series?

What I was looking for was a breakdown on the effects of modern drugs on the character, IE, PC smokes some crack, what are the effects of crack on all his scores, hp, etc, etc.

Also, im not a drug user, so I have no idea what the street value of a kilo of coke goes for.

Maybe im asking too much. But I had to ask.

Alaska

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads