• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druid and Wild Shape

Nifft

Penguin Herder
For example, one of my players (you know who you are!) wild shaped into a snake and attempted to open a closed door. How would you rule this type of action?
I'd point and laugh.

The rules don't say you can't cross a chasm by swimming through the air, but you still can't. Plausibility must be given at least a nod.

Cheers, -- N

Giltharin

First Post
My initial reaction was something along those lines the first time a similar situation occured while he was in wolf form. When I ruled against him, he argued that I was penalizing his character unfairly. I relented to keep the momentum going, but it's definately something I'll have to discuss with him.

joljester

First Post
Wild shape - flying

In the 4e Druid description for Wild Shape it states "You choose a specific form whenever you use wild shape, and that form has no effect on your game
statistics or movement modes".(PH2 pg83) However, if a Druid is to turn into a bird will the Druid be able to fly?

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
In the 4e Druid description for Wild Shape it states "You choose a specific form whenever you use wild shape, and that form has no effect on your game
statistics or movement modes".(PH2 pg83) However, if a Druid is to turn into a bird will the Druid be able to fly?
"No effect on your ... movement modes" is pretty explicit: You'd be a flightless bird-like thing.

Actually, it DOES effect something basic: You can't use the basic at-will attacks for melee and ranged. Simply put, unless you expend a druid ability with the Beast Form, you can't even bite/scratch/spit at anyone.

Figured that out with the druid multiclass feat. You can attack once as an animal if you get an ability, and then all your teeth/claws fall out.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Is it any more powerful than the Changeling at-will?

Now imagine, Changeling Druid... master of disguise!
The changeling paladin in my game has done this through a multi-class feat. She can pretty much change into anything she wants. It's great, although language becomes a problem.

Undrhil

Explorer
Sounds like your Changeling Paladin needs to get some INT and take the Linguist feat. My Changeling Artificer is going to take Linguist at level 4, then Linguist II at level 14 (maybe 12 if I think I need the extra languages...) It's nice to be able to actually pull off a bluff when you can actually speak the language the creature would be speaking.

Walking up to a group of Orcs, looking like their chief and then commanding them to drop their weapons in common ... just doesn't cut it. :)

kk14

First Post
My Druid always takes the form of a great white bear, but that's just choice and adds character flavour. As others have said, you can be any beast you want. Note that it says explicitly that some item manipulations will be beyond you. This is especially true for skittering sneak and the flying 'shape powers.

Also, you can't use non-beast form powers in beast form, and you can't use beast form powers when you aren't wildshaped into a beast. This means that a druid will have to do at least some planning in combat, as well as dabble in both kinds of powers, if he wants to be effective.

Giltharin: I would have made him change back, or argued that if he really wanted to open the door in beast shape he would have to make an acrobatics (or thievery or somesuch) check to manipulate the door open without hands.

Dan'L

First Post
Actually, it DOES effect something basic: You can't use the basic at-will attacks for melee and ranged. Simply put, unless you expend a druid ability with the Beast Form, you can't even bite/scratch/spit at anyone.

I would expect any reasonable DM would allow you to use an unarmed strike as an MBA while in beast form. 1d4 + Str damage and no proficiency v. AC isn't great, but it is something to represent "bite/scratch/spit."

-Dan'L

Remove ads