• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druid Animal Companions grow with HD?

shadowlight

First Post
I've searched through the books and the srd and I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this:

Whe a druid's animal companion gains hit dice due to the druid's level, does the animal increase in size (assuming their new Hit Dice falls in the new size category in the Advancement entry in the animal's stat block)

For example, a 3rd level druid's wolf animal companion would have 4 hit dice, putting it in the Large category.

Here are some references:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#theDruidsAnimalCompanion
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/wolf.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm

Thanks!

CronoDekar

First Post
Nope! This was addressed in the FAQ, and the Sage said that the advancement rules are meant to refer to be used for making unusually powerful creatures rather than those growing more powerful.

Nail

First Post
No, the AC doesn't change size.

The size change is for Advancing monsters. Remember that an "advanced" monster isn't a monster that's a bit older, or has grown more. It's for a more powerful version of the base creature. Monsters (other than dragons, obviously) don't advance with time.

Given all of that, a Druid's animal companion isn't using the "advancing a monster" rules, and so is not growing in size.

Nail

First Post
Good thread.

However: "advanced because it's superior" (a one-time event) and "gaining HD over time because of the druid's advancement" (a continuous process, over the life-time of the animal) sound pretty different to me.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
*sigh*

I just discovered a new wish for 4e. That they remove the Advancement line from all monster entries, and instead include an appendix titled "DM's guide to creating stronger monsters" in the back of the MM. Too many folks see that Advancement line and assume A) that every monster must have versions at each listed HD in the campaign world, and B) that when their wolf gains enough HD it will grow to Large size. :\

Infiniti2000

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
I just discovered a new wish for 4e. That they remove the Advancement line from all monster entries, and instead include an appendix titled "DM's guide to creating stronger monsters" in the back of the MM. Too many folks see that Advancement line and assume A) that every monster must have versions at each listed HD in the campaign world, and B) that when their wolf gains enough HD it will grow to Large size. :\
Amen to that!

Nail

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
I just discovered a new wish for 4e. That they remove the Advancement line from all monster entries, and instead include an appendix titled "DM's guide to creating stronger monsters" in the back of the MM.
I respectfully disagree.

They need more, not less, guidance tied to each monster description. (For example: Each monster should have a LA listed. Each and every one!) An appendix would undoubtably conflict with some of the monster entries......and would the consolidation be worth the extra trouble? And with a generalized advancement appendix, the opportunity to customize a progression is lost.

Lord Pendragon said:
I just discovered a new wish for 4e. That they remove the Advancement line from all monster entries,

That would, IMO, by a *huge* step backwards. After all, that's what we had in 2E and the earlier editions, right? Just some vague guidelines about improving monsters by DM fiat.

No, removing the in-line description of how to advance a monster would detract from the ruleset.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Who said it would be vague? And who said it would conflict with monster entries? You guys are letting prior (and current) versions cloud your judgment. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads