• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druid Archer help

Moon-Lancer

First Post
So after next game our group will have finished red hand and I will be a player again, YAY!!!!. I was thinking of being a druid archer who uses the unearthed arcana Variant that gives up wildshape, Armor and Shields for Monk armor and speed, and favored enemy like a ranger along with track.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid

I start at level 6th, and I was wondering if this any apparent spells or feats that improve my characters archer?

Ruis Ki
Druid 6
N Medium humanoid (wild elf)
Init +5; Senses lowlight vision.; Listen +14, Spot +15
Languages Common, Elven, Druidic
AC 20, touch 20, flat-footed 15
hp 54(6 HD)
Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +10
Speed 50 ft. (10 squares)
Ranged +1 longbow+10 or +8/+8 (1d8+4/x3) or w fire arrows (1d6+5/x3)
Base Atk +4; Grp +6
Druid spells (CL 6th): 5:4/4/3
Cantrips: Create water, Detect Magic, Light, Cure Minor Wounds, Fire eyes
1st entangle, impeding stones Speak With Animals, Obscuring Mist, (dc15)
2nd Spider Climb, BarkSkin, Bite of the Warerat, Local Tremor(d16)
3rd Energy Resistance mass, wind wall, spike growth (dc17)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 20, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 18, Cha 10
SQ Elven Stuff, Wild Empathy, Woodland Stride, Trackless Step, Favored enemy (humans+4, Magical Beast +2), Monk armor and speed.
Feats precise shot, point blank shot, rapid shot, *track
Skills Concentration +11, Listen +15-4, Spot +15-4, Knowledge Nature+5, Ride +9
Possessions Bow of the Winter moon w/Elvencraft, Goggles of Foe finding, Amulet of Wisdom, Metamagic Rod of Extend, wand of cure light wounds, 4 Potions of Mage armor, 2 spell component pouch, Dragon Breath Arrow (120 arrows), Crystal of energy assault lightning, elf clothing with hood, magic bedroll.

So the few spells and equipment I have found thus far that make a good archer are as follows. I need help on finding more. i also have a feat free due to a flaw, so any suggestions on a single feat is more then welcome.

Spells
Bite of the Warerat. buffs dex and natural armor for a very short time, frost weapon adds a d6 of cold for a very short time. (wind tunnel is awesome, but thats a long way away)

eq
Dragon breath arrows. Makes the arrow a d6, adds fire damage and catches things on fire, goggles of foe finding ignores cover, bow of the winter moon auto adjusts compost strength rating.

aside from the above I have been hard pressed to find spells that improve a druids archery. Am I missing any spell, feat or even magic item that could improve damage much in the same way spikes and brambles and etc improve melee druids? The problem I am running into is most weapon enhancement spells specifies melee weapons.

I would think that the mechanics would more easily support a druid archer because of the easily workable flavor, but Its been an uphill battle. If anyone can offer some optimization tips to increase damage or ways to get domain spells without multi-classing, i would appreciate it. All books are available.

Last edited:

squee

First Post
giving up wild shape, even if you're never going to be in melee seems like a bit of a mistake... But one possibility might be to use swift hunter I can't remember what the exact prerequisites are but my guess would be that you'd fulfill the portion usually derived form ranger so then it's just 3 levels of scout...

Kat'

First Post
You'll want Zen archery, which lets you use your Wisdom on attack rolls with ranged weapons, so you won't need to boost Dex that high. Also try and take a level of Soulbow for Wis to damage with your mind arrows, plus the boost to your Reflex save should be worth it and it opens the door to psionic feats such as Psionic Shot. This way, the only stat you'll really ever need to worry about is Wisdom.

Darklone

Crystalkeep has the Swift Avenger feat ... that's essentially Swift Hunter for Druid/scouts. You'll love it.

Soulbow is in the Complete Psionic IIRC.

Don't forget that level 5 spell in the SpC that adds your caster level to Wisdom. Your Zen archery will be spot on.

szilard

First Post
Many Druid spells are good for archers. Some require creativity.

For example, Druid 1:
Updraft: Get needed distance so as not to provoke AoOs. See/shoot over obstacles.
Animate Wood: Animate an arrow. Shoot it at your enemy - or into your enemy's area.
Hawkeye: Increase range.

-Stuart

szilard

First Post
Darklone said:
Entangle is one of the best archer spells :D

Yeah, actually... area control is great for archers. If you can slow down or trap melee opponents, you can pick them off.

Soften Earth and Stone, Plant Growth, Spike Growth, and similar spells can serve this sort of purpose as well...

-Stuart

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Darklone said:
Entangle is one of the best archer spells :D
Yep yep yep!

Also spider climb, stone shape or wood shape (to make arrow slits), longstrider, faerie fire and of course cat's grace.

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads