• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druid AWPower : Grasping Claws

abnormali7y

First Post
Since you can make this attack as an opportunity attack, if someone were to run by you, provoking an OA, and you hit, thus slowing them and setting their speed to 2, would their movement stop if they already moved 2.

Scenario :

Rogue runs past a threatened square of mine. At this point, he has moved 3 squares.
I Grasping Claw and hit, slowing my target.
Does he get to move 2 more? or does he stop?

Well, I'd say be RAW he has to stop because his movement rate is now 2 and he's already moved more than 2 squares. This is one area where 4e rules are rather silent though. There are several other somewhat similar corner cases, like what happens if you were dazed and somehow the dazed effect is removed before the end of your turn, do you get to take a move and a minor action? Nobody really knows for sure.

Dalzig

First Post
Check out Slow, PH1 277. "If the target was already moving when slowed, the target stops if they have already moved 2 or more squares." (something like that)

abnormali7y

First Post
Ok, question : Are there any items/feats that let me shift after i take an OA. Cuz it would be pretty nasty if i force a big baddy to stop movement and i'm the only one in range for him to attack.

Of course, i know i could just not attack with that power, but wheres the fun in that :p

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Ok, question : Are there any items/feats that let me shift after i take an OA. Cuz it would be pretty nasty if i force a big baddy to stop movement and i'm the only one in range for him to attack.

Of course, i know i could just not attack with that power, but wheres the fun in that :p
Yeah, it's times like these you wish you were standing next to a Defender, who had Marked the big bad just before you Slowed it.

Otherwise, as you say, it's a tactical choice: is the benefit (stopping this thing's movement) worth the risk (getting clawed in the face)?

Cheers, -- N

BlightCrawler

First Post

That's why it's recommended as the guardian druid at-will. That you might be the only one to attack is exactly the point. Why else would you want to use a melee power that slows if you don't want to make sure the target stays within melee range? I mean, that goes for using the at-will as a normal attack.

If the monster is charging the fighter, let it go. If it's chasing the ranger or trying to get away for range, stop him. You are a guardian druid, most likely, so the chance that he'll be able to hit you is pretty poor, and if it does, the chances that you can take the damage is really high.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads