• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druid feat selection?

Morose

First Post
I'm curious as to what some of the longtime druid players on the boards have chosen for feats with their characters. I'm currently playing in the Forgotten Realms, and we're using most of the splatbooks. Here's what I have currently:

Spellcasting Prodigy
Natural Spell
Spell Focus: Evocation
Spell Penetration
Scent

However, I've been debating on the Spell Focus and Spell Penetration feats. My DM is very flexible, so I could swap those out, I just didn't know what else to take, so I went with those. :) Any better or more interesting suggestions out there?

Crothian

First Post
Our Druid had Point Blank Shot, Extend Spell, Alertness, Endurance, and those that the ones I remeber becasue they got used. Extend spell was the most useful metamagic feat in the game. I can't stress that enough especially with all the great spelss that go on the animal campanion.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Natural Spell is just almost a must have.

Extend is great to have, probably the only metamagic I would take

Scribe Scroll is nice to have if your in a campaign that makes it feesable.

I like taking Track

To me, personally Spellcasting Prodigy seems like too much so I wouldn't take it, but it's really nice.

Scent is good, but Blindsight is better.

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
I've gotten good mileage out of Natural Spell. Being able to cast from the somewhat surprise state that Wild Shape can provide you turns out to be very handy for me.

I wouldn't recommend Scent. You'll have enough ranks in Wilderness Lore that if you take Track, as I did, you'll probably never need it. That is, unless you plan on using it to find invisible people. But I'd wait for Blindsight for that use.

Urbanmech

Explorer
Consider Eschew Materials, with this feat and natural spell you should never have to worry about having a component again. Most druid spells don't have any costly material components.

If you are just a Druid make sure to take Blindsight at 12th Lv. Nothing like having free 120' blindsight always on. A much better investment than scent which you can get anyway with a quick wildshape.

Empower Spell can be another good feat for druids, they have lots of damaging spells that can benefit greatly from this feat. Empowered flamestrikes and heat metals can really ruin your enemies day.

Extend Spell may not be that useful as druids don't have nearly as many hour long buffing spells that arcane casters and clerics have. I'm playing a druid with extend spell in a game currently and through 9 levels I haven't found much to use it on except to make some of the traveling spells (Easy Trail from MaoF) last longer.

Morose

First Post
The Scent thing is kind of part of the character concept at this point. Wouldn't want to get rid of it even though I DO plan on getting Blindsight eventually.

As for Spellcasting Prodigy, it's kind of a must have in our group. Though no one will out and out admit it, we're as close to munchkins as you can get and still be considered a regular sized human. ;)

I thought about Extend... will probably get it eventually, but up til now the only buffs I'm casting are things like Greater Magic Fang, Bull Strength, and the occasional Barkskin which I haven't found I need the extra duration on.

Alertness and Endurance... sounds like that guy is thinking of becoming a Shifter (those are the PrC requirements) since those aren't really feats that I consider worth too much. :)

Thanks for the input all... I'll keep all this stuff in mind.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads