• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druid Speaking Common while Wildshaped?

zyzzyr

First Post
So ...

According to MotW, the druid's wildshape ability prevents the individual from speaking any of the languages he or she knows. The new form only allows primitive noises. (It also doesn't allow her to speak the language of the animal whose shape she took).

So does anyone know of any way a wildshaped druid can speak the languages she knows, so she is not a total waste to her party members? I want to play a druid that is often wildshaped, and I don't want to have to switch back and forth just to carry on a conversation :p

zyzzyr

RigaMortus

Explorer
Maybe some sort of telepathy spell?

I know there is a Psion power which allows telepathic communication, I am sure there is a magic equivalent out there somewhere.

zyzzyr

First Post
Well that just seems odd. An awakened animal speaks the languages of the caster. I dont' see why a wildshaped druid couldn't.

And I'm amazed that this sort of thing hasn't been addressed ... at high levels druids barely need to change forms for a whole day.

zyzzyr

First Post
I thought Speaking Wildshape only allowed you to talk in the language of the animal that you had currently assumed. No?

shilsen

Adventurer
zyzzyr said:
I thought Speaking Wildshape only allowed you to talk in the language of the animal that you had currently assumed. No?

Right. So a druid wildshaped into a dog could communicate with other dogs, but no speaking in common or other languages.

Antikinesis

First Post
Puts some points into Perform(Mime)?

Write in dirt with claws?

Sign language?

Set up signals with party?
"Rrrrr!" -> "Kill!"
"Aaagh!" -> "Help me!"
"Eeee!" -> "Run away!"
"Oooo!" -> "Look what I found!"

That's all pretty cheesy, tho.

-AK

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Right. So a druid wildshaped into a dog could communicate with other dogs, but no speaking in common or other languages.

You can talk to your Awakened dog, who can tell everyone what you said :)

-Hyp.

Janos Antero

First Post
Rary's Telepathic Bond also works well, but I think that requires an arcane caster which can be a hassle. Really nothing to stop you from writing with your claws in the dirt too. But I admit, that is a silly oversight.

Remove ads