• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druid: Staff or Totem

Valesin

First Post
I am making my first druid (in any edition) and can't figure out whether a staff or totem is the best way to go for an implement. I can probably figure it out after spending a while with the books/compendium, but I figure some more knowledgeable people than myself have already considered all the possibilities.

So...staff? Totem? Advantages/disadvantages of each? Must-have magic items of one implement or the other?

Thanks!

Valesin

First Post
ps: I am going to focus on control powers over beast and summonings. Of course, I will have some of all, but I am not looking for to build a charging/clawing/maximum melee damage kind of druid. I am an elf going predator druid.

DracoSuave

First Post
Well, unless 'Weapon Focus: Staff' appears in your build, is there any reason to restrict yourself to one or the other? Instead, consider the entire list you have available as the menu you can choose from. I'd just say, look at your options and choose the one or two you like best.

Obryn

Hero
Generally, if you don't know what you're getting, I'd go with staff. There are more varieties of staff than of totem, and you have several options you don't with a totem - namely Weapon Focus and Staff Fighting.

-O

fba827

Adventurer
_based on what you wrote_ i'm inclined to say staff for your druid.

staff overlaps with wizards, and so you have more controller-y type properties to choose from (some designed for a wizard are equally valid for your proposed druid concept). and staff has been around longer (due to wizard) so there is more in terms of sheer number to find (and also more often the common-er item to be found in random loot hordes if your dm does random loot)

totem, on the other hand, overlaps with shaman so there will be less percentage of totems are cronteroll-focused, and being the more recent implement, there is less variety in terms of sheer number to choose from.

having said that, if you have any remote desire to eventually multiclass to a shaman then go with totem

DracoSuave

First Post
Well, I think "implement expertise" is pretty much a must-have feat, so I need to pick one asap.

Retraining says you don't -have- to pick one asap, you just retrain into the one you have.

But yeah, your first feat doesn't have to be Imp Ex. You hit often enough in the early levels that you really don't need the +1 to hit as much as you might need other utility feats that help you in other ways. You'll want it by level 15 of course, but before then it's not -that- important.

Earthfall totem is -very- nice for those druids who specialize in push/slide/prone powers (and it's a surprisingly deep pool). If you're into those, through Beast Form or what have you, it's better for damage than Staff of Ruin is.

Razor Talon totem is also another option for Beast Form druids to enjoy.

Totem of Thunder's Keeper is a good control option, giving a push when they attack a friend.

On the other hand, Staff of Ruin is great, and Staff of Thunderwave is probably one of the best dailies for damage in items -bar none.-

Druids can really go so many different ways. I guess the best advice is to see what powers you're taking, and go with the implement that best works towards your playstyle. What works for one guy might not work for you. There's no singular 'best' implement for druids... you can take whatever it is you like.

Last edited:

Yeah, I really don't think Implement Expertise is that critical at first level either. Its a pretty good choice, but there are likely to be other choices which are equally good. In any case you don't know what items you may end up with and a non-magical totem is worthless, so if you do take imp. ex. then take it in staff, at least a mundane staff is a usable weapon. You can always retrain it if you get gifted with a magical totem. In any case there are a heck of a lot of good staves to choose from, so chances are you can find one you like.

DracoSuave

First Post
Re: Needing a staff as a weapon:

Druids need a melee weapon for any signifigant reason? Don't they have melee implement powers that act as basic attacks in their beast form?

hero4hire

Explorer
I would choose staff and get Focused Expertise Staff. This leaves you options down the road for interesting feats like Staff-Fighting gives you a bonus to the occasional opportunity attack and has more choices to multiclass into and keep the same implement.

Remove ads