• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druid weapon Proficiency?

I started playing 1st ed D&D 20ys ago, but just recently started playing again using 3.5 rules. My friends and I disagree on the interpretation of some of the rules, for instance: can an elven druid use a longsword and longbow, because elves are automatically proficient in them?

Vrecknidj

Explorer
Rule #0: If the DM says it's okay, then it's okay.

That said, officially a druid cannot use a weapon that's not specifically listed in the druid description.

I've made this houserule: druids, like clerics, might have weapons specific to their gods. In the case of elves, this includes the elven weapons (sword, rapier, bow). Also, I allow druids proficiency with nets.

Dave

tensen

First Post
Under 3.0, the answer would be no... because it was not on list of weapons that they swore an oath only to use.

However in 3.5 only the armor and shield seems to have an oath on it.

Witness

First Post
In 3.0, if a Druid used a weapon that was not on the class proficiency list, the Druid lost the ability to cast spells for 24 hours. In 3.5 however, this prohibition has been removed and only wearing prohibited armor causes the Druid to lose her spellcasting ability. So yes, an elven Druid can use a longsword or a bow with no problem.

dcollins

Explorer
Agree with the previous two posters. If you read carefully, in 3.5 the "oath" restriction applies only to druid armor, not weapons (different from 3.0). If the druid picks up weapon proficiency from some other source, they can use it freely.

Remove ads