• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Druids and druid crafting options?

Kelly Kellogg

First Post
So, i'm creating a blind half-orc druid. I was wondering, since druid craft can be used to make like wind blow out candles, or flowers bloom, could it be used to create like little harmless elementals? Like a lil air sprite or small flower sprite that helps my druid get around as her eyes?

Or cuz it does harmless sensory effects, can she use it to enhance new scents within the 5ft area around her? Kind of like using the scents close by to know whats near her? (She also would use her quarterstaff as like a walking cane for roots and what not)

Obviously its dependant on DM and there would have to be a lot more thought on how a blind character would work, and what perks/disadvantages would apply, but as a general use of this cantrip, what do yall think?

Or any other ideas on how she could use druid craft to essentially "see".

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
If the character's blindness is self (player)-imposed, and you are not looking for any ability beyond what normal sight would give you, ask for the DM just to let is be a wash -- it sounds like you're not looking to replicate tremorsense or anything else. If that's so, and you aren't going to push anything hinky, it sounds like a really cool character hook that druidcraft has this effect, and somehow lets you contribute too the collaborative story in an interesting way.

Last edited:

Kelly Kellogg

First Post
If the character's blindness is self (player)-imposed, and you are not looking for any ability beyond what normal sight would give you, ask for the DM just to let is be a wash -- it sounds like you're not looking to replicate tremorsense or anything else. If that's so, and you aren't going to push anything hinky, it sounds like a really cool character hook that druidcraft has this effect, and somehow lets you contribute too the collaborative story in an interesting way.

Thanks for the XP lol i'll never turn it down.

Not sure what you mean by "hinky", but i dont think so? Mainly, her blindness is essentially cataracts, but coming from an orc tribe with no advancement beyond the standards of tribal life, she doesn't know that. So it progressed to full blindness.

She left the tribe, orc politics, and got raised by a druid who found her. Taught her to use nature to get around. So mainly she uses her hearing and sense of smell to do that. Often taking the form of a wolf cuz wolves have better hearing and noses.

I imagine it would be reasonable to have advantage with hearing and smells on her home turf (forests like areas), while disadvantages in like a city. Or other turrains. And like auto hit spells would still need an attack role (such as Entangle for example).

But for visuals, im just trying to find a plausible seeing eye dog like thing for her to use lol

Or SOMETHING that doesn't make me do a dex saving throw every 5 minutes cuz im walking. Not too hinky i hope?

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I am building a PC that has had both eyes stabbed out by a raven, but the raven is perched on his shoulders and is his eyes as part of a backstory. I'm taking the ritual caster feat for find familiar but could have taken magic initiate instead.

But yeah. Hopefully a DM handwave means you don't have to give anything up.

Sounds cool. Enjoy

Kelly Kellogg

First Post
I'll point out that blindness is curable with a lesser restoration spell.

Well yeah, but she doesn't know that and grew up blind (lost it around 7 years old, is in her 20's now). So the thought never occurred to her to get healed. She's very simplistic. Natural causes took her sight so why worry about it? It is what it is. If her regaining her sight comes into play in the campaign, it does, yay, but if not, whatever.

Remove ads