• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druids and fighters- wildshape and all sorts of fun

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
SidusLupus said:
Sense Weakness is absolutely awesome. especially if you consider without it, the only type of DR I could surpass while wildshaped is magic, with Greater Magic Fang. And it works on hardness!
Great stuff. Later, look at the spell that reduces Natural Armor, to help you hit higher AC's.

Tric

First Post
SidusLupus said:
After getting severely beat down by a few ogres I'm seriously considering taking armor of the crocodile first.

Not a very good idea, since it only gives +1 per level. This means you get +1 to natural armor, which isn't all that attractive. Getting +3 damage is better IMO, then +3 natural armor at 3rd level (and possibly at 5th level as well, if you want).

Hypersmurf said:
Ah, right.

I believe when ergeheilalt said "seems they stack", he meant the Natural Armor bonus from the Wildshaped form, and the enhancement bonus to natural armor from the amulet.

When you posted the note about like bonuses not stacking, I assumed you were disagreeing with that :)

My fault, t'was poor wording. What can I say... Sue me. ;) English isn't my first language, and... that's my excuse.

Hypersmurf said:
Where's he from? I'd be interested to see the wording...

-Hyp.

Complete Warrior, p. 64. Under "Nature's Armament"

Last edited:

IcyCool

First Post
Tric said:
Level 5: Druid 5 (duh) (Heard UA had Wildshaping Ranger, which would be a better bet. Don't have it tho, but getting... slowly ;))
Level 6: Druid 5/ Master of Many Forms 1
Level 7: Druid 5/ MoMF 2 (Troll shape, yay)
Level 8: Druid 5/ MoMF 2/Warshaper 1 (for immunities, useful)
Level 9: Druid 5/ MoMF 3/Warshaper 1
Level 10: Druid 5/MoMF 4/Warshaper 1
Level 13: Druid 5/MoMF 7/Warshaper 1 (Get ex, no need for further levels for now)
Level 14: Druid 5/MoMF 7/Warshaper 2
Level 15: Druid 5/MoMF 7/Warshaper 2/Nature's Warrior 1 (+3 damage)
Level 16: Druid 5/MoMF 7/Warshaper 2/Nature's Warrior 2
Level 17: Druid 5/MoMF 7/Warshaper 2/Nature's Warrior 3 (Armor of the Crocodile)
Level 18: Druid 5/MoMF 7/Warshaper 3/Nature's Warrior 3
Level 19: Druid 5/MoMF 8/Warshaper 3/Nature's Warrior 3
Level 20: Druid 5/MoMF 9/Warshaper 3/Nature's Warrior 3

At epic levels, max MoMF first, then Nature's Warrior. Then go Druid. Warshaper aren't worth it, since it doesn't increase Wild Shape in any way, and it's abilities at 4th and 5th aren't worth it.

Allow me to shut up now.

You know, there was something about this build that was bugging me when I looked at it and I finally figured out what it is. This uber-shaper can only shape into critters with 8HD or less and each wildshape use lasts for up to 8 hours.

IcyCool said:
You know, there was something about this build that was bugging me when I looked at it and I finally figured out what it is. This uber-shaper can only shape into critters with 8HD or less and each wildshape use lasts for up to 8 hours.
It would seem that MoMF is meant to stack with druid levels for determining the max HD at least, or the ability to take Gargantuan forms would never be usable.

IcyCool

First Post
Brother MacLaren said:
It would seem that MoMF is meant to stack with druid levels for determining the max HD at least, or the ability to take Gargantuan forms would never be usable.

I agree, but by RAW it doesn't. The example character given shows that the duration is still 1 hour per druid level (unchanged by MoMF), and makes no mention of what the HD limit is.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
SidusLupus said:
Horrid Animals did look very cool, but to save alot of time and headaches, we made a deal where anything I faced in combat was fair game for shaping, but untill then, unless it was a creature that could be found in set terrain types determined by my origin, I wouldn't be able to shape into off the bat. And I believe horrid animals have huge HD, no? So it would be a while. But nifty I'm betting.. I only got to see the picture of the ape, and i'm intrigued.

I believe that horrid creatures have the same hit dices as the original animal, but I'm not sure. Given that we faced 2 horrid dire rats at 1st level, they can't be that big...

Tric

First Post
Brother MacLaren said:

Correct. They stack for the purposes of HD and time limits. It's just a typo. Otherwise MoMF would be ridiculously weak, as you might understand.

Even if it didn't you'd still get Troll at least :)

Edit: Found the link that contains proof: http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php?p=5259048

Last edited:

nak9788

First Post
SidusLupus said:
yay someone who knows what it is!

yeah with a build like that you may want to pick up nature warrior 1 and pick the power which adds 3 damage to all attacks while wildshaped to make the hits count more since you're dps.

How much does your animal companion contribute as a whole? I chose to forgo one for the time being because i was being hounded for taking too long. I may change my mind on that though. Any reason why not a wolf for free trips?

Also, you may want to consider checking complete divine for some nifty druid spells, and there's a feat there specifically for sneak attacking and wildshaping but I forget what it was exactly but if I remember right it was pretty good.

Still no one on ideas about staves and material DR? =/

I have had a few years of Latin in High School so I was able to translate your login name.

My snake comes in very handy, especially for flanking purposes or when you find yourself seperated from your party, its a good backup. Give it a good trick selection and its a great guard. It is much more plausible to see a snake in a dungeon as "natural" than a large wolf.

I chose not to go with a wolf because it seemed too cliche to me. Also, after the 1st HD improvement, it would become a large creature (at least that's the way our party plays it so please no rules corrections). It would seem weird to waltz into town with a wolf the size of horse.

A snake however is able to climb and swim (its has natural movement speeds). Plus when it eventually gets larger, it basically just gets longer (mostly) and only a little fatter, so it is still able to go into small places. It also wouldn't get that heavy (yes I know that a large creature has a certain range). But a snake that weighs a thousand pounds? I don't think so. Even the biggest recorded anacondas (which would be classified as large to huge) weigh about 500 pounds at the most.

Plus it looks cool. I am having a sortof custom bag of holding made for it so I can put my snake in the bag and have it weigh almost nothing (as well as keep it hidden). It will also give it a good supply of air so it can stay in there for awhile.

I generally don't recommend an animal companion until you've reached a higher level so you can select a more powerful one. Also, make sure you can give it regular improvements through your Druid level or else you'll find that it will do little more than get in the way and die quickly.

Remove ads