• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Druids and metal armor

Joe Liker

First Post
In a vague, offhand callback to AD&D, the armor proficiency line for druids says they "will not wear armor or use shields made of metal." Not one word is given about why, or what happens if they do. (What if a druid is knocked out and dressed in chain mail by some joker?)

Because this is mentioned only under proficiencies, I take it to mean that the druid class does not grant proficiency with such items (basically all medium armors beyond hide). That's all well and good, but it creates a bit of a conundrum for multiclass druids. Can a second class grant them proficiency with the rest of the medium armors, or does the "will not wear" clause trump all possibility of that?

What about mountain dwarf druids? Does their inherent proficiency with medium armor have any bearing on the matter?

Obviously, without official clarification, this is something the DM will have to decide. I understand that. But in order for the DM to make that call, it would have been helpful if they had mentioned why druids shun metal.

Is it because metal armor would put them at a disadvantage in a druid duel where the other guy had heat metal prepped? Does it interfere with shapeshifting?

(I know reasons are given in previous editions, but we're not supposed to assume people are familiar with previous editions!)

Paraxis

Explorer
I just allow all armors to be made of other materials if the player wishes. So dwarves make stone plate, dark leaf elf scale, dragonhide breast plates.

So in my game a druid can wear any medium armor he wishes just has to describe it as non metal for religious reasons.

was

Adventurer
Several previous editions had armors made using stone. That might be pretty cool for a dwarven druid. Dwarven druids maybe the exception to that metal armor rule. I could see it if you were running a rock/mountain/underground type of druid.

Last edited:

I think it is basically a bit of a throwback. However, I justify in terms of the shapeshifting ability. In the mythical sense, organic or material that is nominally based on ‘life’ (even if it since deceased!) is malleable towards the form of the shapeshifting druid. Metal, however, is a non-living material (forged from rock) and as such retains it’s shape despite the Druid shifting form - which may be a bit uncomfortable…

Not exactly a scientific argument, but good enough for a fantasy game, I think and it does explain why using metal weapons is OK, but wearing metal armour is not.

Druids revere nature above all things. Leather and hide are natural/organic materials. Metal isn't.
That said, even the most green lover of the wilds accepts that metal tools are useful.
Just not as armour that one sheathes oneself in.
It's a roleplaying decision to be a Druid and all that goes with that, philosophy-wise. A MC Druid would surely hold those same philosophies.
Re: racial proficiencies, they are background level inherited traits.
Becoming a Druid must be a philosophical choice.
Not such an exact analogy, but consider one's choice to be a vegetarian. Physically, our teeth are designed to eat meat (racial proficiency), but psychologically one makes the decision to not do so. In the same way, a "typical" Dwarf grows upwith/is physically hardy enough to wear metal armour without impeding itself, but chooses to follow a more natural path, shunning metal armour as a vegetarian shuns meat.
its a roleplaying decision rather than a maximising stats thing.
A Druid's source of magic is from nature, thus it makes sense for non-organic matter to act as a barrier to spell casting IMO.
And re: where do the metal weapons go at shape change time...me, I put it down to magic.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I think it's strictly there for flavor. I like that they didn't inherently tie it to making the character less effective at what she does or temporarily stripping the character of certain powers.

Druids will not wear metal armor. If you choose to wear metal armor, then you are not a druid. Erase all of your druid levels from your character sheet.

That still leaves the question of someone tying you up and forcing you to wear metal armor, but as long as you're acting in good faith and get rid of the armor as soon as possible, you should be okay. (And you probably can't use any druid abilities in the meantime.)

rjfTrebor

Banned
Banned
if it seems confusing and silly, don't use it. it's there for people who probably flipped to the druid chapter to look for it first thing.

Remove ads