• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druids and Vermin?

zyzzyr

First Post
Hello,

My druid is about to head into a nest of giant spiders, but I can't find any decent spells to use against vermin! Where's the vermin friendship, charm vermin, hold vermin, etc.?

Should the animal* spells apply to vermin? Know of any spells that I can use against vermin (as the druid animal * spells?)

Thanks!

zyzzyr

Moe Ronalds

First Post
zyzzyr said:
Hello,

My druid is about to head into a nest of giant spiders, but I can't find any decent spells to use against vermin! Where's the vermin friendship, charm vermin, hold vermin, etc.?

Should the animal* spells apply to vermin? Know of any spells that I can use against vermin (as the druid animal * spells?)

Thanks!

zyzzyr

I'd probably allow it, since animals and vermin seem to be more or less equals and I can't see this being a terribly game shattering choice. Actually, the thought of a Drow Druid with a monstrous spider companion is somewhat intriguing...

d4

First Post
if they don't already exist somewhere, i'd allow a druid to research them herself. seems like a hole that needs to be filled to me.

as for vermin companions, i'd be tempted to allow it with a feat -- if it fit the style of the druid.

IMC I have a house rule on this: vermin actually *do* have an Int score (of 1 or 2), but they don't use it very often. Most of the time they're simply on automatic, which is why they have their various mental immunities.

However, Handle Animal, wild empathy, and druidic spells that deal with animals can make contact with that suppressed intelligence, and can work on vermin. But Handle Animal and wild empathy have a -4 modifier, and the vermin get +4 on any Will saves against such spells.

Some clerics (such as my deity of spiders, who is not Lloth) get certain domain powers and spells related to their particular sort of vermin, without the +4. And a druid can take a feat to get rid of the +4.

The Spectrum Rider

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'd allow it, with the penalties for affecting magical beasts in place (-4 to spell DC's/Skill checks). I'd also allow you to research spells that specifically target vermin, a feat that lets you get vermin, etc.

Yes, it is a hole that needs to be filled, and the moment it is, I'm all up ons.

Norfleet

First Post
The line between animals and vermin is rather blurry, seeing as in many cases, "vermin" are simply animals that people have decided they don't like and are going to paint in a negative light so that they won't look too bad when they decide to exterminate them.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Norfleet said:
The line between animals and vermin is rather blurry, seeing as in many cases, "vermin" are simply animals that people have decided they don't like and are going to paint in a negative light so that they won't look too bad when they decide to exterminate them.

Well, in D&D Vermin have no Int score -- that's a pretty major distinction. If they are subject to mind-influencing effects, they're not vermin.

d4

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
Well, in D&D Vermin have no Int score -- that's a pretty major distinction. If they are subject to mind-influencing effects, they're not vermin.
yeah, i just thought of that. i don't know how game-breaking it would be to develop mind-affecting spells that could affect vermin.

clark411

First Post
find the natural (vermin) predator of spiders.. like maybe some strange spider eating spider.. and then drop a bunch in there, cast Giant Vermin.. and go nuts!

or charm some aardvarks and send them in (magic them up to prolong the entertainment value)

use the Cirrrrcle of LIiiiiife and think outside the box on your tactics when dealing with natural things

tf360

First Post
Bastion Press' pdf Druids & Druidism contains the spell vermin friendship as well as other feats and prestige classes for druids with a vermin companion. It may be worth checking out.

Remove ads