• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druids and Wild Shaping

owlish

First Post
As a basic rule i use this. A druid cant wild shape into things he has never seen.But im asking this for a particular case.The Dragon Shaping.Can a druid wild shape into a dragon?is it "logical"?Since a dragon is an immensely powerful creature and is by far NOT a natural animal..

shilsen

Adventurer
Druids can wildshape into animals (and eventually, elementals). Animal here refers to the animal type in the MM. Dragons aren't animals. So no, druids can't wildshape into dragons.

Once the druid gets Shapechange, you'll see that dragon forms are good but not stupendous. Their HD are quite a bit higher than their CR, and HD sets the cap on Shapechange as well as wildshape. A CR18 18th-level druid cannot shapechange into a CR18 dragon. The flying speed and breath weapon are useful, but not overpowering at that level.
Many outsider forms have better natural armor and natural attacks. Their HD/CR ratio tends to be lower, which is good for Shapechange. You don't get the spell-like abilities, though.

Dark Dragon

Explorer
Or take 10 levels in Master of Many Forms (Complete Adventurer), but you don't get SU and spell-like abilities of the dragon.

Dragon Wildshape [Epic] requires Wis 30 and 30 (IIRC) ranks in Knowledge (Nature). So, Shapechange is the only option for a druid to become a dragon with all powers except spells and spell-like abilities (this includes psionic powers which some gem dragons use).

Vlos

First Post
There are several ways to get to shape into a dragon.

First there is a PrC which is way overpowered that grants lots of shapes. In Cplt Arcane I believe. I think you only gain Extraodinary powers.

Second there is a mid level feat which allows you to wildshape into a dragon, In Cplt Divine I believe. You are limited in size to smaller dragons.

Third there is a EPIC feat which allows you wildshape into any dragon. You gain Extraordinary and Supernatural powers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads