• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Druids in 4E

Wepwawet

Explorer
Apaprently the Druid class (that so many of us love :)) will not be present as a core class in 4E.
As far as we know, 4E will be everything about options, creating the character you really wish for.
So, will it be possible to create a Druid from a Cleric of nature, choosing nature-related powers and talents?
Or even from a Warlock with Feywild pacts? Wildshape could be one of the powers granted by the Feywild.
If this could work, we'd be able to create the perfect druid (or shaman), as we see him in our imagination :)

What are your thoughts about Druids in 4E?

Andor

First Post
Druids have been one of my favorite character classes since AD&D. It will be very odd to see a players handbook without them.

And no, 'Cleric of nature' doesn't cut it. They have always been distinct in a 'followers of the old ways' sort of vibe.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Since they have stated that they have plans to release every 3e Core class in 4e, it seems doubtful that they'll do much to roll the druid into the cleric, so I doubt we'll see much in the way of wild shape and animal companions for classes in the first PHB.

vagabundo

Adventurer
The Merciful said:
That's reassuring. I have missed this bit of info. You got a link?

I remember this being confirmed, but you might have to wait until the phbII for Druid,monk and bard. They will introduce them with a bundle of new power sources I assume...

Cadfan

First Post
I've always liked the idea of druids.

I've never liked the implementation. They're basically two, maybe three classes rolled into one these days.

Were I running things, the unfortunate druids would get sacrificed beneath their own standing stones. From the ashes, I'd build:

1) A class which fits the "sage of the old ways" vibe you get from a druid who mostly casts spells, and maybe fights in combat with a sickle once in a while.
2) A class which shifts into animal shapes, and focuses on this as its core combat technique.

Any shifting the first class would get would be non combat related. For example, instead of casting "fly" like a wizard, the class would transform itself and its allies into birds.

The second class wouldn't get spells. I might give it invocations, though. Magical semi-permanent boosts that synergize with its animal forms. That's just one of the mechanical ways to accomplish that goal, but its one I rather like.

Patlin

Explorer
I hope it means Druids and others (shapechangers? Spirit Shamans?) will have their own nature power source. Even if it's not in PHB 1, I look forward to seeing a level 1 to 30 treatment of the class based on the shifter variant in 3.x PHB II.

Drammattex

First Post
Heh. I'm willing to give WotC as much time as they need to put out a druid that doesn't break my head when players run them.

That means changing entangle and some of the summoning rules.

Druids require me to keep track of 10-20 more die rolls than I would normally have to manage.

el_skootro

First Post
Drammattex said:
Heh. I'm willing to give WotC as much time as they need to put out a druid that doesn't break my head when players run them.

That means changing entangle and some of the summoning rules.

Druids require me to keep track of 10-20 more die rolls than I would normally have to manage.

Hear, hear! As much as druids are a cool, iconic component of the game, in 3.x they are waaaaaaaay too much of a headache. Let's reboot and make them something that lives up to the potential without making my insides tighten up when a player says she wants to play one.

El Skootro

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads