• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druid's Wildshape

Prism

Explorer
Moriarty said:
Thanks! I was pretty certain that HP didn't change but I couldn't find the info anywhere. I guess I should have followed the spell chain back further.

This topic has been debated in depth for years and is far from easy to answer. The PHB can be interpreted in both ways and often is. The DMG errata specifically states that you retain your hit points for ploymorph yet some suggest that being a secondary source on spells this in itself is a mistake. The Rules of the Game articles state that your adjusted CON changes your hit points but some point out that this isn't official whereas others say it is. You are not going to get a consistant answer on this but remember that the CON change isn't always beneficial especially when you change into lower CON smaller animal forms or when the wildshape ends. Chose whichever you prefer. Anyone who suggests this is clear cut has either never seen the endless arguments on various boards about this or is being a bit sneaky and looking for supporters of their cause ;)

Our group plays adjust hit points if that helps ;)

For the other questions above, the druid in question is 7th level. The player was looking at dinosaurs as a possibility to transform into but should he be able to transform into one if he's never seen one? The wildshape ability says you can't transform into a polar bear if you've never been outside of the temperate forrest. So how can a DM determine if a dinosaur would be okay. Or a elk. Or a buffalo. Or a etc, etc, etc.

If the group starts at first you can probably work with the player at the beginning of the campaign to determine a reasonable starting list. If you start at later levels or only decide to do this at later levels I would house rule a knowledge nature check for each species of animal inc dinosaur with DC's set based upon your world. Unless it is out of context for your world I'd generally set the DC's fairly low as the HD limit keeps things balanced.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
That's right, the character has to be familiar with the animal in question to wild shape into it. Of course, in the module I *just* ran, the level 8 druid encountered a MegaRaptor.

Suddenly, she's wildshaping into that a little more than a Polar Bear or a Giant Octopus. (In a gestalt campaign, beware of the Giant Octopus with 3d6 sneak attack...)

Setanta

First Post
HellHound said:
That's right, the character has to be familiar with the animal in question to wild shape into it. Of course, in the module I *just* ran, the level 8 druid encountered a MegaRaptor.

Suddenly, she's wildshaping into that a little more than a Polar Bear or a Giant Octopus. (In a gestalt campaign, beware of the Giant Octopus with 3d6 sneak attack...)

Is there some feat or something that allows an eighth level druid to wildshape into a huge animal?

Setanta

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Megaraptor, Giant Octopus, and Polar Bear are all Large animals...

-Hyp.

My 3.5 Monster Manual says megaraptors are huge (complete with -2 AC, -2 to hit, and 15/10 space/reach). But, I just looked at the srd, and sure enough, they're large. I guess I should read the errata occasionally (assuming this is in there).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Setanta said:
My 3.5 Monster Manual says megaraptors are huge (complete with -2 AC, -2 to hit, and 15/10 space/reach). But, I just looked at the srd, and sure enough, they're large. I guess I should read the errata occasionally (assuming this is in there).

Yup - from the MM Errata:

Creatures
Most creatures remain the same. Some only have
minor errata. Four creatures underwent significant
change: Deinoychus (dinosaur), megaraptor
(dinosaur)
, gelatinous cube, and gibbering mouther.
The following text amends the existing entries.

-Hyp.

glass

(he, him)
mikebr99 said:
But Polymorph overrides the "keeps all abilities" (from Alter self) by giving you the forms standard physical abilities: STR, DEX, & CON... which you then get to use to their fullest.

To the fullest, except when it comes to hp, which don't change* because alter self says so (as I quoted).

*When I say don't change, I mean don't change. This is not the same as the 'rested for a day thing', which is healing -ie you don't get it if you aren't injured.

glass.

mikebr99

Explorer
glass said:
To the fullest, except when it comes to hp, which don't change* because alter self says so (as I quoted).

*When I say don't change, I mean don't change. This is not the same as the 'rested for a day thing', which is healing -ie you don't get it if you aren't injured.

glass.
Your BASE hps don't change... but take out of your current total, your current CON bonus. Then add your new CON bonus from your new form. If that's what you meant... then I agree with you.

RotG Polymorphing (part 3) said:
The subject gains the Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores of the new form but retains its own Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores.​
The subject retains its own mind, but its body is transformed into a semblance of the assumed form. Unlike previous versions of the D&D game, the subject's hit points change according to his new Constitution score. The subject's Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores revert to normal when resuming its normal form, which may prompt another change in hit points.

But the above isn't valid... right?

Mike

glass

(he, him)
mikebr99 said:
Your BASE hps don't change... but take out of your current total, your current CON bonus. Then add your new CON bonus from your new form. If that's what you meant... then I agree with you.

That's not what I meant, because it's not what it says. It doesn't say base hp don't change, it says hp don't change. So they don't.

mikebr99 said:
But the above [RotG quote] isn't valid... right?

Right. The article is wrong, becuase it contradicts the PHB (and apprently the DMG too).

EDIT: The rules of D&D are contained within the books (as modified by the errata). They are not contained within random articles on WotC's web site.

glass.

Last edited:

mikebr99

Explorer
glass said:
That's not what I meant, because it's not what it says. It doesn't say base hp don't change, it says hp don't change. So they don't.

Right. The article is wrong, becuase it contradicts the PHB (and apprently the DMG too).

EDIT: The rules of D&D are contained within the books (as modified by the errata). They are not contained within random articles on WotC's web site.

glass.
Just so we're clear... when one of your players Polymorphs or wildshapes... He would get the benefits of the new STR (to hit, damage... etc.) and DEX (AC... etc.) BUT nothing from the CON?

Why does Poly take the time to note specifically that you get a new STR, DEX, & CON... which trumps Alter Self... and then not allow their respective benefits??????????????

Does that actually make sense to you?

Mike

Remove ads