Druids?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
reichtfeld said:
Stupid question, but what exactly happens when you use Extend Spell on Creeping Cold?

The DM changes the rules to stop you, and given half the responses you get to this particular question, claims that he hasn't, and that whatever solution he hastily put in place was in the rules in the first place.

Grown up DM's will point out to you the fact that a 4th level spell can do 21d6 is probably just a tiny bit wrong, and suggest that the spells duration should be instantaeneous, with the effects occuring over 3 rounds.

Clay_More

First Post
Really kewl ideas on spells. Makes me want to play a Druid, havent done so in 3 rd. edition yet.

Extend spell works on ANY spell with a duration, if im not wrong. Not sure how it handles spells that grow / vanish in power.

Miasma sucks, IMO. One of my players, a 11 th. level druid, killed three 10 th. level fighters and one 12 th. level fighters, simply because they didn't have any dispel magic with them. Its unusual for fighters of that level to be able of dispelling. And 11 th. level druid means 55 rounds, pretty insane. Power Sight is broken IMO as well. No other spell allows someone to see such specific information on anyone. Seeing HD is pretty powerful, my players used to cast it on ANYONE that approached them. "Oh, he's 12 HD.... that means he's a 12 th. level caster. Dont worry guys, no 7 th. level spells from this one".

reichtfeld

First Post
I'd have to agree about having Creeping Cold as instantaneous duration to avoid that whole issue. The editors for the classbooks were really out to lunch in my opinion. Especially in the case of MotW and DotF. "Hey, um, guys? Miasma? Armor of speed? Please tell me this is just your character's wishlist."

The HD spell wouldn't be so bad if it had a save. I know there's a divination called "Know Protections" that lets you know any target's magical defenses (spells, DR, resistances, etc), but it has a Will save.

Last edited:

zyzzyr

First Post
The whole Miasma thing is just insane.

When you consider that MoF has a 6th level druid spell called "Drown" that does almost exactly the same thing (except for holding breath), and gives a Fortitude save ...

The whole thing might be useable if you change duration to 2 rounds/level.

Malin Genie

First Post
I would allow extended creeping cold, heat metal etc, just have the damage cap out. So as a 4th level spell it would deal 1d6 + 2d6 + (3d6x4) = 15d6. Within the power level, and the fact that it is on the high side of damage is balanced by the fact that it takes a long time to deal its damage.

Similarly an extended heat metal would do 1 + 1d4 + (10 x 2d4) + 1d4 + 1; well capable of simmering even a tough character alive but taking enough time to do it they could go find some water or even take their armour off.

Stalker0

Legend
Another thing that people overlook about druids is the tiny wildshapes. They see the freaking huge tigers and bears they can be, but forget the powers of small creatures.

Who notices a small rat? You can get through the tiniest nooks in walls, move through beaten doors, and noone gives a "rat's ass" (sorry:) You can spy on the enemy, and be out in a flash, and get a huge bonus to hide. The biggest thing to remember is that your HP DOESN'T CHANGE!!

reichtfeld

First Post
Everyone is too busy laughing at the prospect of a druid wildshaped into a Cthulu-esque octopus form and wreaking havoc with the Multitasking feat to consider a rat. :) Using the Celerity prestige domain for time stop and using those rounds to Summon Nature's Ally for wave after wave of reinforcements and buff them up... Or, for greater cheese, polymorph into a giant squid (huge size) and use flight and air breathing plus Girallon's Blessing for four extra pairs of arms to multitask. It'd be a cruel DM to ask the players to leave during a time stop and have them return to see every character surrounded with a mass of buffed up dire animals ready to rock and roll, their tentacled adversary hovering over the battlefield to dispel any attempts at escape. Oh the grapple checks. Dear God the grapple checks... /cry At least SNA is full-round.

Last edited:

DM_Matt

First Post
reichtfeld said:
Everyone is too busy laughing at the prospect of a druid wildshaped into a Cthulu-esque octopus form and wreaking havoc with the Multitasking feat to consider a rat. :) Using the Celerity prestige domain for time stop and using those rounds to Summon Nature's Ally for wave after wave of reinforcements and buff them up... Or, for greater cheese, polymorph into a giant squid (huge size) and use flight and water breathing plus Girallon's Blessing for four extra pairs of arms to multitask. It'd be a cruel DM to ask the players to leave during a time stop and have them return to see every character surrounded with a mass of buffed up dire animals ready to rock and roll, their tentacled adversary hovering over the battlefield to dispel any attempts at escape. Oh the grapple checks. Dear God the grapple checks... /cry At least SNA is full-round.

That Octopus will die unless you have the right spells to operate normally out of water. A druid I DMed actually once saves the whole party though by casting Master Air (MoF Druidic Fly) as a giant octopus and using his many arms to airlift them out of a very difficult combat :)

zyzzyr

First Post
Another thing to remember ..

while wildshaped, you lose the effect of the vast majority of your magical items. That +4 Str belt? gone. +6 Periapt of Wisdom? Gone, and the bonus spells, too, unless you've got a wilding clasp on it. Boots of speed? Forget it. Cloak of Displacement? Useless!

It's a pretty big tradeoff at higher levels. Sure, you can wildshape into something with 3 attacks at +18/+18/+13, but not being able to use magical items is a big "power" hit.

Note you can take a level of Shifter and specify which equipment melds, and what doesn't, but a bird still can't wear boots or platemail armor. You'll just trip over a cloak if you walk on four feet.

Remove ads