D&D 5E Dual classing; solution to multiclassing?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
It's true about the dead levels, but it's a players choice for a package deal. I concede that it's an issue using the vanilla system - do I take a 4th level for my 1/3 character when I've already gotten my feat/whatever.

However, using this old school MCing, your choices are fixed at character creation (I assume you couldn't mix this with normal MC) so no stressing over dead levels. You only have a dead level because you already got that benefit a level or two earlier.
True, but when we're talking about a house rule that nobody has even implemented yet, it doesn't hurt to polish it up the best you can.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Well, they aren't really getting than many extra ASIs. They get ASI #2 one level early (7 instead of 8), ASI #4 three levels early (13 instead of 16), and a bonus ASI #6 at level 18.

Putting ASIs at character level makes some levels really dull (nothing is gained at 6 AND 7, for example), and some levels overstuffed (at character level 8, you'd get both 5th level features AND an ASI). I'd rather do something like make the ASI for your second class not count, or only give a +1 bonus for it, or something like that.

Maybe just a one-off adjustment - they miss their level 13 ASI. This still leaves most ASI early, but evens out the really early ones at late levels and prevents a bonus one. Many games won't even get that high to notice.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Maybe just a one-off adjustment - they miss their level 13 ASI. This still leaves most ASI early, but evens out the really early ones at late levels and prevents a bonus one. Many games won't even get that high to notice.
I like that idea.

Horwath

Legend
Well, Pillars of eternety 2(that is based somewhat on 3.5 mechanics)

Is going with similar solution for multiclassing:

https://youtu.be/FFUZf1eakBE?t=91
they begin "double levels" on level 1(too early IMHO), rather lvl5 with this idea.

Guess will see in next few months how that worked out...

It's not the same category comparing video game vs. table top, but the base idea is the same.

Remove ads