• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dual Wand Feat?

soulforge

First Post
Is there a dual wand feat somewhere that is official? How is it? Anyone ever seen it used in Campaign? What are the prereqs of such a feat?

Thanks for any answer, especially a quick response.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Umm...in one of the recent books. Either Complete Arcane or Complete Adventurer. TWF feat is a prereq. Do not recall any other prerequisities.

Darth Malakh

First Post
soulforge said:
Is there a dual wand feat somewhere that is official?
Yep. Complete Adventurer. it's called dual wand wielder

soulforge said:
How is it?
well...it depends on your resources. it's probably not something you want to use every round, because the second wand needs an additional charge.

soulforge said:
Anyone ever seen it used in Campaign?
nope.

soulforge said:
What are the prereqs of such a feat?
craft wand and TWF

soulforge said:
Thanks for any answer, especially a quick response.
you're welcome

Malakh

PrinceZane

First Post
Nod, I almost looked into a TWF rogue to switch between wand/weapon when SA is possible, and wand/wand when not. But the whole "offhand wand takes 2 charges per use" thing kinda turned me off on it.

It really depends if your finding alot of useful wands, or have a wiz that doesn't mind pumping them out like babies. Because they can get rather expensive (assuming your getting some that actually do some kind of damage :p)

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
I think the key is to find useful 1st level spells with decent effects at caster level 1 to use in the off hand. Then the costs are negligible once you get past low levels.

Good choices would be Grease, Enlarge Person, Ray of Enfeeblement, and True Strike.

A DC11 Grease may not sound like much, but a lot of opponents you face even into the mid-upper levels will have a 10-30% chance of failing that save.

Seravin

Explorer
I think Reveal had a player use it recently. If I recall correctly, it was a little broken when combined with a 12th level artificer tricked out to use the feat to the best of the player's ability (empowered scorching ray which was then metamagicked with something else).

Also, there's a prestige class in eberron that grants the same ability at 2nd level - cannith wand adept I think. The ability is more costly to use though.

Glyfair

Explorer
Seravin said:
If I recall correctly, it was a little broken when combined with a 12th level artificer tricked out to use the feat to the best of the player's ability (empowered scorching ray which was then metamagicked with something else).

Except, as it turns out, the feat had nothing to do with it. Then again, it doesn't mean it wouldn't have been worse with it being in use.

Li Shenron

Legend
The double charge cost is a little cost for the benefit IMHO. Low level wands are cheap to use off-hand, and all wands already benefit from a genetic 50% discount when compared to scrolls.

edit: so think like you're holding a 50-charges scroll with your off-hand, and it'll be like you're paying nothing

SelcSilverhand

First Post
7th level warlock in my campaign uses wandstrike to good effect. He uses them for melee weapons and his blasts for ranged. I don't believe he has dual wand wielder yet, but is working his way there. It works good for being grappled and seems as effective as a light weapon.
Not sure what wands he uses in particular, but he never buffs using them so I assume cheapest 1st level wand available.

Remove ads