• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dual Wand Weilder

Thurbane

First Post
There's the Deathwand Crossbow in AEG that allows two wands to bu mounted underneath, and the wielder is to considered to be holding either of the wands.

Quidam

First Post
You wouldn't be able to dual wand wield by 6th, but if you were to go warlock instead of wizard, you'd be able to use any wand in the book.

Anti-Sean

First Post
Thurbane said:
As to the OP, I could be wrong, but isn't there an Eberron based PrC that specializes in wielding two wands?
Cannith Wand Adept from Sharn: City of Towers.

(IMC, I don't allow the PrC's class ability to stack with the Dual Wand Strike feat from Complete Arcane, because I am an Enemy of Fun.)

The_Warlock

Explorer
Another thought if taking a level of fighter...taking Battle Caster from Complete Arcane. If you went with Wizard, you'd be able to wear light armor with no spell failure chance to back up your wand wielding. If you went with Bard or Warlock, you'd be able to wear medium armor without interfering with spell/incantations if I'm reading everything right. And the fighter level would give you the base armor proficiencies so you wouldn't have to take them separately.

And that would certainly help with defense if you are going to get in people's faces.

udalrich

First Post
Another thought is the Eberron Artificer. The benefits include:

• Better hit points than a wizard
  • Craft Wand at 3rd level
  • Access to every spell
  • Incantrix ability to metamagic wands by using extra charges
  • Able to craft wands with spells one level above normal
  • Every crafting feat as a bonus feat
  • Pool of free XP for crafting
  • Infusions that improve your wands
  • Bonus metamagic feats

You'll be able to dual wield at third level, taking TWF as your first level feat, Craft Wand as your third level bonus feat and Dual Wand Wielder as your third level feat.

I expect this is going to be an expensive build, no matter what you do. To save money, you'll want to make your own wands. An artificer can create a goodly number of items at each level without spending any of his XP, since one of the class features is bonus XP that can only be used for crafting.

There's an infusion that applies a metamagic feat you know to a wand without using extra charges.

I think you also get better BAB and possibly better saves.

On the down side, you'll need to make UMD checks to both create and use the wands. At level 13, you gain the ability to take 10 on a UMD check, but by that point, you can probably use a wand even if you roll a 1. The whole concept is probably weak by level 13, since you're limited to 4th level spells when others are using 7th level spells.

Thurbane

First Post
The_One_Warlock said:
Another thought if taking a level of fighter...taking Battle Caster from Complete Arcane. If you went with Wizard, you'd be able to wear light armor with no spell failure chance to back up your wand wielding. If you went with Bard or Warlock, you'd be able to wear medium armor without interfering with spell/incantations if I'm reading everything right. And the fighter level would give you the base armor proficiencies so you wouldn't have to take them separately.

And that would certainly help with defense if you are going to get in people's faces.
Are you sure that's how that feat works? I thought it only boosted light to medium, or medium to heavy. I didn't think it would boost no armor to light. I could be wrong, but I thought you had to have some armored casting ability through your class before you could take the feat...

The_Warlock

Explorer
Thurbane said:
Are you sure that's how that feat works? I thought it only boosted light to medium, or medium to heavy. I didn't think it would boost no armor to light. I could be wrong, but I thought you had to have some armored casting ability through your class before you could take the feat...

Woops, I was looking at the feat text today at work, and the block text would support the concept for wizard, but it's the prerequisite which limits it - ie already having the ability to ignore spell failure chance for some level of armor. My mistake. However, if the character was designed as bard or warlock, or a prestige class that grants the ability to armor up while arcane casting, it would still be quite a beneficial feat.

Unfortunately, barring the suggestion for artificer, which is world specific, I can't think of a way to get Double Wand at 6th without using wizard. Which is the core concept desired, so under normal circumstances, I'm assuming that getting it as early as possible is part of the design.

Actually that begs the question...what level is this character starting at? Is this a campaign where you are starting at Level 1, GM, or are you starting at a higher level, at which point some jockeying of getting you to be a wand shooter as early as possibly may not be needed, and might allow some alternative class builds which are more flexible at mid/high levels.

Archimedes314

First Post
udalrich said:
Another thought is the Eberron Artificer. The benefits include:

• Better hit points than a wizard
  • Craft Wand at 3rd level
  • Access to every spell
  • Incantrix ability to metamagic wands by using extra charges
  • Able to craft wands with spells one level above normal
  • Every crafting feat as a bonus feat
  • Pool of free XP for crafting
  • Infusions that improve your wands
  • Bonus metamagic feats

You'll be able to dual wield at third level, taking TWF as your first level feat, Craft Wand as your third level bonus feat and Dual Wand Wielder as your third level feat.

I expect this is going to be an expensive build, no matter what you do. To save money, you'll want to make your own wands. An artificer can create a goodly number of items at each level without spending any of his XP, since one of the class features is bonus XP that can only be used for crafting.

There's an infusion that applies a metamagic feat you know to a wand without using extra charges.

I think you also get better BAB and possibly better saves.

On the down side, you'll need to make UMD checks to both create and use the wands. At level 13, you gain the ability to take 10 on a UMD check, but by that point, you can probably use a wand even if you roll a 1. The whole concept is probably weak by level 13, since you're limited to 4th level spells when others are using 7th level spells.

Listen to this man. If your concept is to be a wandslinger exclusively, then Artificer is infinitely better than wizard. Also, it does not get weaker at higher levels, because by mid-to-high levels you will have quicken, twin, split ray, empower, maximize, etc. which combined with your dual-wielding style will put your damage through the roof. If you don't believe me ask the CO boards. Plus you can do other neat things, like nabbing persistent spell and putting all day buffs on your party.

Last edited:

Khelvan

First Post
Good PRC

Take incantatirx.
First you get a lot of nice Abilitiies and bonus Feats.
Second you can use your Metamagics on the Wands at Incantatrix level 5 or 6.
I have one with double Wand Wield and it burns out Wands realy
fast.
But an Incantatrix with this feat and the right Wands and Metamagics can do a realy ugly things.

Khelvan.

Remove ads