• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dual-Wield Implements

kk14

First Post
I haven"t checked the errata, but I don't think this is in it.

I have a player Warlock (Fey Pact) who wants to dual-wield implements. I orginally scoffed at the idea, but I can't find anywhere to suggest she can't, except the specific wording for holy symbols where it says that two Holy sybols cannot be used in conjunction. If anything, that implies that other implements CAN be used together.

Obviously attacks cannot be made from each one in a turn unless action points are spent, but the innate properties (as far as I can tell) could.

The plan (as I understand it) is to take a Rod of Reaving, curse a minion, killing it with the Rod's innate property, and then in the other hand have one of the other rods that can trigger instead of the pact boon. Specifically, the Rod of Corruption. The combination of the two would in many (indeed most) combats kill every single minion and curse the remainder of the enemies.

I'm thinking there's no way this is allowed.

P.S. here are what the two rods do:
Rod of Reaving: When you place your Warlock's Curse on a target, the creature takes damage equal to the rod's enhancment bonus.
Rod of Corruption: Whenever your pact boon is triggered, instead of taking its normal benefit you can transfer your Warlock's Curse to each enemy within 5 squares of the original target.
-PH pgs 239, 240

kouk

First Post
The FAQ says this:
19. Can a Warlock benefit from holding two rods?

Yes, a warlock can gain the properties from two rods but he still can only use one to make an attack.

If this comes up, I'd say you are justified in limiting the extra damage on a Curse from the Rod of Reaving to 1/round, or only on enemies you spend an action to Curse.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Yes, you can hold two implements and gain the properties of each, but youi can only attack with one.

In the case of the two rods you mention, the Rod of Reaving does it's damage when you place your curse. The Rod of Corruption transfers your curse when the creature dies. Some DM's draw a distinction between placing your curse and having the curse transferred - so that the Rod of Corruption doesn't trigger the Rod of Reaving.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads