• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dumb D&D Questions

boolean

Explorer
Zander said:
Yes. An ettin has two fully-functional heads including brains, mouths and vocal chords. There's nothing to stop an ettin's heads speaking separately, so they could yodel independently as well.

So you would allow an ettin spellcaster to cast a second (verbal only) spell every round?

Allow each head to save separately vs. mind-affecting effects?

Rev. Jesse

First Post
No, ettins cannot cast two verbal spells a round, nor do they get extra will saves. Those effects would impact the game, whereas bardic music is pretty much pointless.

Bloodsparrow

First Post
Rev. Jesse said:
The "Ranger into a Glass of Water" question is from Dragon magazines of yore. Skip Williams used to do a April edition of Sage Advice where he would answer weird questions like that. He ruled that, under the 2nd edition rules of the time, Polymorph Any Object could only turn a creature into a object of uniform composition and that a ranger could be turned into a glass, or a puddle of water, but not a glass of water. He did provide that magic like a (limited) wish might be able to turn a ranger into a glass of water, but the wording would have to be composed very carefully, otherwise it is likely that the wish would generate a giant glass of water and place the dual-weilder into it. Then there was a question about if a wish maker pharsed the wish very well, how many hit points would compose the glass versus the water. It was determined that the watery soul of the ranger would be immune to weapon attacks, but could be damaged by drinking and that a creature w/ a larger tongue would do more damage than one w/ huge teeth.
Which is why you see rangers fighting saber-tooth tigers but never cows. They are afraid of the cows.

Thank you for that historical lesson.

You owe me a soda and a keyboard.

My contributions...

"Why are you talking like that?"

"What good is all this armor if I can't dodge the Magic Missile?"

Goblyn

Explorer
Back in the 2e days, a player asked us in an excited voice;

"Hey, did you guys know that wizards can cast spells?"

Zander

Explorer
boolean said:
So you would allow an ettin spellcaster to cast a second (verbal only) spell every round?
Sure, why not? I don't imagine there would be many ettin spellcasters because it doesn't fit the monster's savage nature, but where they did occur, they could cast two spells per round (one of which would have to be verbal only).

boolean said:
Allow each head to save separately vs. mind-affecting effects?
Yes, though one head making the save and the other failing wouldn't necessarily result in the ettin being unaffected. More likely, it would be conflicted - maybe the two heads would argue with each other or struggle to control the creature's body. I see quite a bit of RP potential in this.

Remove ads