• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dune-based setting elements

rogueboy

First Post
So I've been reading the Dune series over the summer (currently on book 4), and have thought, at several points, that elements of the setting in the books would work well in a D&D campaign. The problem I'm running into is that I can't figure out what elements of the setting would translate well and which would cause issues when brought across.

Anyone have any ideas for what elements of the Dune setting to bring over, or how to incorporate those into the (relatively incomplete) campaign setting that I'm building?

Thanks!

aco175

Legend
Wow, I never got around to reading the books, and sadly all I can contribute is from the movie. That being said, I find the concept worthy of making a good campaign.

You can keep the desert flavor and have purple worms, or something based on them as the worms being riden. You could also change the desert to artic and have the white worms or in FR I recall something about a monastary riding Rhemoraz(sp).

I also like the element suits they wore that protected them and recycled the water. These could be a type of mundane armor or a magic item. Maybe a enchantment you add to any armor so everyone could get it.

Some of their sonic pulse atks could become powers. Not sure if these should be added to a class like the invoker or the wizard, or be a paragon path where more classes could take. It may depend on the length you plan to run the campaign.

Maybe 'spice' becomes 'residium'. This would have the wizard ruled empire trying to gain control of all the production and distribution. Side fractions try to atk caravans and set up their own mining operations. Add in the locals that worship the worms and the reduction in residium is causing low birth rates in the worm population, you start to have lots of conflict.

Plague

First Post
Wow, I never got around to reading the books, and sadly all I can contribute is from the movie. That being said, I find the concept worthy of making a good campaign.

You can keep the desert flavor and have purple worms, or something based on them as the worms being riden. You could also change the desert to artic and have the white worms or in FR I recall something about a monastary riding Rhemoraz(sp).

I also like the element suits they wore that protected them and recycled the water. These could be a type of mundane armor or a magic item. Maybe a enchantment you add to any armor so everyone could get it.

Some of their sonic pulse atks could become powers. Not sure if these should be added to a class like the invoker or the wizard, or be a paragon path where more classes could take. It may depend on the length you plan to run the campaign.

Maybe 'spice' becomes 'residium'. This would have the wizard ruled empire trying to gain control of all the production and distribution. Side fractions try to atk caravans and set up their own mining operations. Add in the locals that worship the worms and the reduction in residium is causing low birth rates in the worm population, you start to have lots of conflict.

Yeah even with all this you have plenty to go from. Especially if you are reading the books. Just think about how an idea would work in the dune world of the books and translate the idea to DnD via Magic or Supernateral Powers. I mean with dune and dnd settings the possibilities are endless

saethone

First Post
Theres a 3.5 suppliment called "Sandstorm", so if you were thinking of keeping it limited to Arrakis you could use that for alot of ideas. If you were thinking of utilizing the whole galaxy, you might want to look to sci-fi refrences like the star wars d20 game, etc. Plenty of stuff out there that can be easily adapted.

Baron Opal

First Post
Clark411 was developing a setting he called "the Residuum must flow". It had a Dune vibe to it. If you dig around in the Plots and Places section you should find it.

Remove ads